A sweet puppy escaped death after accidentally overdosing on heroin while his owners were trying to steal merchandise from a Carrollton, Texas Home Depot on Wednesday. The puppy had been left in their truck in the store’s parking lot as his owners Thomas Romero and Nina Crawford were being arrested for changing price tags in the store.
According to the Facebook page of the Carrollton Texas Police Department, officers found the puppy on the floorboard of the passenger side.
“We weren’t sure exactly what was going on with it, but there was drug paraphernalia,” explained Carrollton Police Department spokesperson Jolene Devito. “Eventually we did find drugs in the car and made sure the puppy got medical attention right away. Sure enough, he was basically suffering from a heroin overdose.”
The tiny four-month-old Chihuahua, barely clinging to life and having difficulty breathing, was rushed to Dr. Stacie Fowler who performed life saving procedures. On the police department’s Facebook page, Dr. Fowler stated it was “her pleasure to care for this sweet baby,” now dubbed Lucky. The pup’s owners have been arrested for heroin possession and for fraudulent destruction, removal, or concealment of writing. Lucky is on his way to a full recovery from the opiate overdose and is back in the care of The City of Carrollton Animal Adoption Center.
If his owners do not claim him within the next ten days, he will be available for adoption. Surely there will be a line at the door to adopt this adorable pup, but while only one family will be eligible to adopt him, why not take a look at all the other sweet, deserving dogs who could sure use a loving home too? Tell shelter staff that “Lucky sent you.”
Photo of puppy saved from heroin overdose Facebook by Carrollton Texas Police Department.
Follow the National Pet Rescue on Facebook.