Who could imagine the pain a street dog scrounging for food must have endured for months as he wandered through the village with a wire embedded so tightly in his flesh he was nearly cut in two? When Animal Aid Unlimited were called upon to rescue the stray dog in nearby Udaipur, Rajasthan, India, volunteers were shocked that the sweet dog had survived for so long – the wire suspected to have been around his torso for months and in places, muscle had grown over it.
Dubbed Ben, his rescuers were convinced this boy was one of the strongest dogs they had ever encountered. The pain, which had to have been continuous and intense would have been enough to kill any pooch. After arriving back at the hospital, veterinarians sedated Ben to remove the wire – his cries of pain broke everyone’s heart as they tried the best they could to make him as comfortable as possible. Much of his suffering was immediately relieved as soon as the wire was cut away, but Ben’s movement had to be restricted to allow his ravaged wounds to finally heal.
“… but it was as if Ben held onto a very specific dream; he simply HAD to play again. He would wait as long as it took but he had to play. And once freed of his Elizabethan collar (worn to prevent him from scratching at the wound) and given free range among the other dogs, Ben burst onto the scene with so much joy in life that we all just stood back in wonder,” wrote the organization on their Facebook update on Ben’s continued recovery.
No one will ever know how the wire became entangled around half of his body – maybe he accidentally became caught up in a fence or some sick culprit committed an unspeakable act of cruelty, but that’s all behind Ben now, and his near death experience has turned into a life filled with happiness and the thrills of all the tomorrows yet to come.
(Photos of street dog via screenshots from Animal Aid Unlimited)
Follow the National Pet Rescue on Facebook.
Check out the video here: