At the Harris County Animal Shelter, we met ‘Dove,’ on Thursday, and her story hurt our hearts. Volunteers said she had been giving up right before our eyes.
“…She hardly resembles a dog anymore. This girl is giving up … right before our eyes. Why shouldn’t she? She has nothing going for her. No one wants her. No one is looking for her. No one loves her … and we think she knows it.”
Thirteen years old, matted and neglected, Dove curled up in her kennel cage, but even if her life was drawing to a close, she deserved love and dignity. And so animal advocates stepped up and shared her heartbreaking story all over social media, hoping to find a rescue organization to help.
On Thursday afternoon, Dove was rescued and left the shelter.
“9/26 PM-Dove left today with Friends Of Emma Medical Rescue and she was immediately taken to the vet. This girl was suffering and had no quality of life and the decision was made to humanely euthanize her. Her foster momma was right there with her, so for a brief period of time, this girl knew love. We are so sorry you didn’t make it Dove. We were really hoping you’d have a chance…”
The rescue had hoped at the very least, Dove could have experienced a few days of unconditional love, however the veterinarian stated she was in severe pain.
Houston & Harris County Animal Volunteers are deeply saddened that Dove’s life ended so tragically, but these volunteers work very hard and will not give up. If you want to be part of the effort to help, please:
1. If you are not already a part of our team, ACCEPT or INVITATION to help boost our priority on Facebook so we can save more lives.
2. Ask all of your animal loving friends, no matter where they live in the whole world, to join us also, it truly is helpful.
3. Watch each video and give it a thumbs up or heart emoji to help boost that particular animal’s priority on Facebook.
4. Contact great rescue groups in your area of the US and Canada and ask them to consider becoming approved to tag animals from this shelter…many other areas are in need of great animals for adoption.
5. Consider adopting from here if you are local or if you are not local but you will drive in to save a life here in this horribly UNDERFUNDED SHELTER.
6. There are rescues ALL OVER the US and Canada who already have our animals in their local rescue who NEED AN AMAZING FAMILY! Reach out to us if you want to see if one is anywhere near you!
Rest in peace Dove.
Yesterday: Man arrested for setting crated dog on fire
I prefer dogs to people #dontjudge Pick your favorite color and style at this link! Your purchase helps support the continuation of our site. More styles and messages at our store. Please click here to find them all!
Help support the continuation of this site AND spread the word – Pets are not disposable!! Find your favorite color and style here.
I survived loving a foster dog until a furever home was found – share the message with this one of a kind shirt! Pick your favorite style and color at this link.
Your purchase helps spread an important message AND supports the continuation of this site.