Wayward English mastiff stranded in mucky wastewater treatment plant

The Pueblo West Fire Department rescued a wayward two-year-old English mastiff who became stranded in the mucky wastewater at the Pueblo West Wastewater Treatment Plant on Monday. The dog named Gidget, still stinks despite multiple baths, but is happy to be home.

According to the fire department’s Facebook page, firemen responded to a dog stranded in the thick muck.

“Earlier today PWFD was requested by the Metro Waste Water Treatment Plant to respond to a dog that was stranded in one of the aeration ponds. The dog had been there for approx 1 1/2 hours or so before being noticed. Crews worked calmly not to startle the dog and assisted it out of the culvert. The dog was then decontaminated as were the crew and all tools. The dog was turned over to animal control and did not seem injured. Great team work!!”

According to Fox News, Gidget’s exciting morning began when her walker coonhound named Buddy arranged for the two pooches to escape from their home. Around midday, Buddy came home, but Gidget was no where to be found. When the dogs’ owner, Mandi Smith had been out looking for Gidget, an employee at the wastewater plant six miles away from Smith’s home, heard a dog barking. And there Gidget was – clinging to the edge of the pond.

Fire crews used a ladder to get to the dog and washed her and sent the friendly pooch over to Pueblo Animal Services for decontamination baths and to wait for her owner. Gidget is now home and has been reunited with the other dogs  and humans.

Another great job by our selfless firemen and women who are always here to help. Stop by their Facebook page and give them an “attaboy.”

(Photos of English mastiff stranded in wastewater plant courtesy of Pueblo West Fire Department)

Did you know that if you want to get updates from a Facebook page, you need to do more than “like” it? To get recent postings in your Facebook feed, you must also hover your mouse over the word “following” and then click “see first” from the drop-down menu. You may want to check back with your favorite pages on occasion because Facebook often changes your settings, no longer having your having your favorites among those to “see first.


Dogs died after accidentally starting house fire – read more here.

 

6 replies
  1. Pamela Garlisch says:

    Hopefully she will be ok and hasn’t absorbed too much bacteria through her skin. Probably should have antibiotics as a precaution. Glad she’s ok though!

    Reply
  2. pennysdachshunds says:

    A Rather “stinky” JOB & RESCUE But ALL in ALL what a wonderful job!!! hopefully Gidget and Buddy will decide “THERE IS NO PLACE LIKE HOME”!!!! Those employees and fire department are SIMPLY GREAT!!!

    Reply
  3. Adrienne says:

    Great job Pueblo West Fire Department. You are a credit to your community and people who know and love you.

    Reply
  4. Nancy Raymond says:

    HUGE THANK YOU to all involved in rescuing Gidget – she is home where she belongs with her pal Buddy – I do advise the owner to find a new dog walker whose priority is making sure the dogs are safe at all times.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *