Two dogs died when they accidentally turned on stove and caused house fire

Spread the love
Get email updates when we post

A 17-year-veteran firefighter in Covington, Washington is devastated after his two dogs died in a house fire on Saturday after they accidentally jumped up on the stove and turned it on.

According to q13FoxNews, neighbors spotted smoke coming out of the back door. When the Puget Sound Fire arrived, they were able to extinguish the fire in the kitchen.

“Covington House Fire
A fire in the 17100 block of SE 263 Street was reported at 10:45 this morning by a neighbor after she saw smoke coming from the back side of a nearby home.

Firefighters were able to keep the fire damage to the kitchen area, though smoke spread throughout the two-story house.

No one was home at the time of the fire. Unfortunately, two dogs died in the fire.

The cause of the fire was a burner that was accidentally turned on by one of the dogs, which ignited combustibles on or near the stove top.”

Captain Kyle Ohashi stated he and his team tried to revive the dogs, but it was too late.

“The dogs put their paws up on the front of the stove,” Captain Ohashi said.

The stove knobs were still turned on as the firemen walked through the home . A 12-year-old pug named Duke and a one-year-old pitbull puppy named Mr. Bone Jangle died. The homeowner said he had previously seen the dog try and jump on top of the stove to get food.

The tragic accident could have been avoided by purchasing plastic covers to keep the knobs safe from dogs and small children. Captain Ohashi also suggested putting up gates to keep pets and children from getting too close to the stove.

Rest in peace Duke and Mr. Bone Jangle.

Did you know that if you want to get updates from a Facebook page, you need to do more than “like” it? To get recent postings in your Facebook feed, you must also hover your mouse over the word “following” and then click “see first” from the drop-down menu. You may want to check back with your favorite pages on occasion because Facebook often changes your settings, no longer having your having your favorites among those to “see first.

Prison time ordered for woman who pleaded guilty to animal cruelty -read more here.



7 replies
    • Stephanie Valletti says:

      There is no evidence that these dogs were neglected. Certainly, this was a tragic accident that was preventable. But calling it neglect is harsh. I’m sure this owner feels guilty enough & knows he could have done more, but placing blame serves no purpose.

  1. Barkley's Mom says:

    So sorry for the loss of Duke and Mr. Bone Jangle, If dogs are prone to counter surfing then they should not be left alone loose. Crate them for their own protection.

  2. Mark says:

    I say BULLSHIT! I think he’s blaming the dogs and he caused the fire to collect money!!!!!!!!!!A pug cannot jump and a pit bull after owning it for who knows how long is not going to start jumping the stove. He’s a fireman…how convenient for a fireman to blame his dogs! BULLSHIT!

  3. Nancy Raymond says:

    And this guy is a firefighter and left combustible objects near the stove? Pretty lousy example of someone who SHOULD know better – and his dogs died due to his neglect and/or stupidity. This is all his fault and he is responsible for killing Duke and Bone Jangle. Hope he can live with his idiocy.


Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *