A surrendered dog that had eaten a do-rag and a sock – both of which became stuck in his stomach, survived surgery this past weekend after having been sick for nearly two weeks. His owner elected to have his dog euthanized, however a veterinarian technician at the animal hospital reached out to ThisIsHouston for help.
When Elliott’s family noticed their designer dog had been showing symptoms of becoming seriously ill, they brought him to the veterinarian and were informed the dog had foreign matter in his stomach and would require surgery. Instead, the owners decided to bring their dog home without receiving treatment, and within a week Elliott’s condition deteriorated. By the time his owners brought their two-year-old dog back to the vet, he was little more than skin and bones and extremely weak – the family requested Elliott be euthanized.
A compassionate veterinarian technician contacted ThisIsHouston after Elliott’s owners surrendered their rights, and surgery for the critically ill dog was performed.
“Elliott had emergency surgery last night. He had 3 places of telescoping in his intestines, and had 60cm removed. He consumed a du-rag and a sock Elliott will remain hospitalized at the ER for several days on heavy antibiotics, IV, and a plasma CRI.”
And now, Elliott is feeling better although he had experienced some worrisome complications immediately after surgery. He is off blood pressure CRI, did two laps around the treatment area without collapsing and is eating on his own; including eating a piece of chicken.
Elliott is not out of the woods yet, but the staff at the hospital are optimistic.