Warning: Euthanasia drug found in recalled dog food

The Food and Drug Administration announced that pentobarbital, a drug commonly used for euthanasia, has been reportedly found in recalled dog food   named Cocolicious Chicken & Beef foods manufactured by Party Animal. It has been reported a customer whose dog became sick had the dog food tested and it came back positive for the drug; the company has since pulled the product from all pet food shelves.

On April 13, a store in Texas notified Party Animal of the positive results after their customer took samples of 13-ounce cans of Cocolicious Beef & Turkey (Lot #0136E15204 04, best by July 2019) and Cocolicious Chicken & Beef dog food (Lot #0134E15 237 13, best by August 2019) in for lab testing.

Party Animal also ordered a recall for the Cocolicious Chicken & Beef dog food, which has a Lot #0136E15204 04 and Lot# 0134E15 237 13, and best by dates of either July 2019 or August 2019. All of the canned dog food should be returned to the stores where purchased for a full refund. The company has been doing additional testing on the recalled products to determine if this was an isolated incident. Thus far, the testing on beef flavored products have all come back negative for pentobartital.

The company issued a statement promising to continue testing products to insure their safety:

“Party Animal wishes to emphasize that we have submitted many recent lots of our beef flavors for testing and all have tested negative for any pentobarbital. We have also had extensive discussions with our manufacturer regarding the potential cause of the reported contamination of the 2015 lots, and we will continue with such discussions even as we await testing results for the 2015 lots.”

The dog food is sold at various retailers and online on sites such as Amazon.

Follow the National Pet Rescue on Facebook.


Check this out for a Dr. Dolittle moment as a woman saves a frog. 

Recall alert: Company voluntarily recalls dog food over health concerns

Owners should be on alert about a voluntary recall of a pet food which may negatively impact a dog’s health. According to the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA), the Blue Buffalo Company has voluntarily recalled one production lot of BLUE Wilderness® Rocky Mountain RecipeTM Red Meat Dinner Wet Food for Adult Dogs.

According to the FDA, the lot of dog food may contain potentially elevated levels of naturally occurring beef thyroid hormones. The FDA release states that:

Dogs ingesting high levels of beef thyroid hormones may exhibit symptoms such as increased thirst and urination, weight loss, increased heart rate and restlessness. These symptoms may resolve when the use of the impacted food is discontinued. However, with prolonged consumption these symptoms may increase in severity and may include vomiting, diarrhea, and rapid or difficulty breathing. Should these symptoms occur, contact your veterinarian immediately.

The Blue Buffalo Customer Care Resource Team has not received any complaints about dogs who have exhibited concerning symptoms, but the FDA did advise Blue Buffalo of a single consumer who reported symptoms in one dog, who has now fully recovered.

The voluntary recall is limited to one production lot of the following product:

Product Name UPC Code Best Buy Date
BLUE Wilderness Rocky Mountain
Recipe Red Meat Dinner Wet
Food for Adult Dogs 12.5 oz can
840243101153
June 7, 2019 (found
on the bottom of the can)

Products impacted by the recall were distributed nationwide through pet specialty and on-line retailers; this is the only Blue Buffalo product impacted by this issue.

Owners of dogs who have consumed the product listed above, who observe concerning symptoms in their pet, should contact a veterinarian. Consumers who have purchased the product subject to this recall should dispose of it or return it to the place of purchase for full refund.

Consumers with questions may contact Blue Buffalo at 866-201-9072 from 8 AM to 5 PM Eastern Time Monday through Friday, or by email at  CustomerCare@bluebuffalo.com for more information.


Man writes letter from his dying dog’s perspective – break’s the world’s heart. Read the article here.

Dog food recall issued after metal contamination discovered

On February 9, PetSmart issued a voluntary recall of one production lot of its Grreat Choice® Adult Dog Food sold on PetSmart.com, Pet360.com, PetFoodDirect.com and in nationwide PetSmart retail stores. According to a release from the retailer, the production lot is being recalled as a precautionary measure due to metal contamination that could potentially be a choking hazard to pets.

The recalled products include the following Grreat Choice dog food sold between Oct. 10, 2016 and Feb. 7, 2017:

Product Name: Grreat Choice Adult Dog Food with Chicken & Rice Classic Ground, 13.2 oz. cans
UPC: 7-3725726116-7
Best By Date or Lot Code: 8/5/19 – (Lot Code) 1759338

(Note, consumers can find the Best Buy date on the bottom of the can)

According to PetSmart, this is the only production lot impacted by the recall – no other Grreat Choice products have been impacted and to the company’s knowledge, there are no reported injuries or illnesses which have been reported because of this potential contamination.

Customers who purchased the recalled food should stop feeding it to their pets and bring any remaining cans to their local PetSmart store for a full refund or exchange. For more information about the voluntary recall or if customers have any questions, contact PetSmart Customer Service at 1-888-839-9638 between 7 a.m. – 10 p.m. CST.

Another important dog food recall is currently in effect for Evanger’s Dog & Cat Food after drugs used to euthanize pets were found in the product. Read more here.

Recall issued after barbiturate found in dog food

A recall has been issued after a barbiturate was found in dog food. According to the Food and Drug Administration,  Evanger’s Dog & Cat Food of Wheeling, Illinois, is voluntarily recalling its Hunk of Beef product because of a potential contaminant Pentobarbital, which was detected in one lot of Hunk of Beef Au Jus.

Pentobarbital, a barbiturate used in the euthanasia of pets, was detected in a single lot of the dog food. The drug can cause side effects including drowsiness, dizziness, excitement, loss of balance, or nausea, or in extreme cases, possibly death. According to the FDA release, one dog died after consuming the food and five other dogs became sick after consuming the product.

Though the pentobarbital was only detected in one lot of food, there are five lots of food which have been recalled. The specifically-identified lot numbers (as detailed below) of cans of 12-oz Hunk of Beef being voluntarily recalled were distributed to retail locations and sold online in the following States: Washington, California, Minnesota, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, Massachusetts, Maryland, South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida, and were manufactured the week of June 6 – June 13, 2016.

Lots impacted in the recall start with:

1816E03HB, 1816E04HB, 1816E06HB, 1816E07HB, and 1816E13HB, and have an expiration date of June 2020. The second half of the barcode reads 20109, which can be found on the back of the product label.

The food is sourced from suppliers of meat products which are USDA approved. The company stated:

This beef supplier provides us with beef chunks from cows that are slaughtered in a USDA facility. We continue to investigate how this substance entered our raw material supply

According to the release, this is the first recall for Evanger’s for its 82 years of manufacturing. Anyone who has a product that is included in the recall should return the food to the place of purchase for a full refund. Consumers with questions may contact the company at 1-847-537-0102 between 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM Central Time, Monday – Friday.


Heroic dog saves woman who collapsed – read more here.

Screenshot (1073)

One pug died and 3 other pugs sickened after eating canned dog food

In Washougal, Washington, the owner of four dogs claims one pug died and three other pugs fell critically ill after eating Evanger’s Hunk of Beef with au jus wet dog food on New Year’s Eve. Nikki Mael stated she fed the dogs the canned food, and within 15 minutes all of them started to get sick, at which time she rushed the dogs to an emergency veterinary hospital.

According to KatuNews, by the time the dogs arrived at the hospital, they were not moving and had gone limp. Immediately transferred to the intensive care unit of the vet hospital, Talula, who reportedly had eaten the most food, died. Tito remained ill. The other dogs were able to go home, and Tito was released on Monday.

“He still suffers from seizures. I don’t know if there’s any long-term effect on the other two, but it’s terrible,” stated Nikki.

On the YouCaring page, Nikki set up to help with the dogs’ expenses, the company issued the following statement:

Evanger’s Dog and Cat Food Company We at Evangers are deeply horrified about this. We take the safety and quality of our products as top priority. We need to investigate and act upon this issue immediately and would require the LOT code found on the bottom of the can.. Please email or get in contact with us. We also feed our own dog, Lilly, this food.”

The company donated the full amount to Nikki’s YouCaring goal. The company is testing the food, and a necropsy of the dead dog has been ordered to determine the exact cause of Talula’s death. Retailers will take any dog food back, however the “Lot” code has not been made publicly available at this time.

(Photo of pug died courtesy of Nikki Mael )

Follow the National Pet Rescue on Facebook.