Warning: Rope toys can be dangerous to dogs

Spread the love
Get email updates when we post

A distraught owner lost her young golden retriever, Sam, because of a rope toy. The dog’s owner, Indira Tucker is telling her puppy’s heartbreaking story to warn other pet owners of the danger of rope toys; hoping to avoid another tragic death of a beloved pet.

According to her Facebook page, the toy was purchased in Home Goods. It looked extremely sturdy and so Tucker thought, would be impossible for her dogs to destroy.

“Dangerous rope toys! Beware,” Indira wrote. “Warning to all dog owners! I purchased several rope toy balls for my dogs at Home Goods. They looked extremely sturdy and impossible to destroy. However I found them in pieces the same day. I quickly threw them away hoping none of the dogs swallowed the pieces.”

Tragically, one of the dogs, Sam, did swallow part of it and the ball unraveled and tore several holes into the dog’s  intestines as she tried to pass it.

“They removed 3 feet of rope that was entangled in her intestines. They also removed 14 inches of perforated intestines. The damage from the rope was so extensive that she passed away two days later… We did not even have the option of having another surgery. She quickly became septic and bled from her intestines into her stomach.”

According to Tucker, the ball  unraveled  into several feet of rope the dog swallowed. Symptoms to watch out for include vomiting, diarrhea, excessive water consumption and not eating. Don’t take a chance.

Rest in peace sweet puppy.

Follow the National Pet Rescue on Facebook for the latest animal related news.

There is no us. There is no them. Help us spread the message – we are one against neglect and cruelty! Your shirt purchase helps support the continuation of our site!

2 replies
  1. Barkley's Mom says:

    How heartbreaking. We buy our pets toys because we love them and when they get hurt by them it’s especially heartbreaking. Through the years I’ve heard of dogs being hurt by rawhide chews, string toys, toys that make sounds (I actually had a dog tear one apart and swallow the battery, I was unaware there was a battery in it). tennis balls, chew bones and anything from China. I wish the manufacturers of these toys would take responsibility to make sure the toys are safe, then maybe something like this wouldn’t happen and someone would lose their precious pet.


Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.