Woman’s two dogs die after eating poisonous mushrooms

Spread the love
Get email updates when we post

A North Carolina woman is mourning the deaths of her two dog after they ate poisonous mushrooms in the backyard of their own home. Janna Joyner returned home on Sunday to find her three-year-old Saint Bernard, Drago, and her eight-year-old Labrador retriever, named Adoni, dead in the yard.

According to NewsKulr8, Janna stated her four other dogs also had symptoms of nausea, stumbling and vomiting. She rushed her dogs to her veterinarian who found traces of amatoxin, found in poisonous mushrooms. David Dorman, a professor at North Carolina State University of Veterinary Medicine stated mushrooms nicknamed “death cap” or death angel” can cause a dog to go from healthy to clinically ill within 24 to 48 hours. The mushrooms cause liver failure, and there is no antidote.


Joyner, who volunteers with a rescue group, is devastated. Her dogs were her family.

Experts admit it is extremely difficult to know which mushrooms are safe or are toxic. Anyone with pets should make sure there are no mushrooms of any kind in the yard. Be safe.

Rest in peace Drago and Adoni.

(Photo contributed by Janna Joyner)

Did you know that if you want to get updates from a Facebook page, you need to do more than “like” it? To get recent postings in your Facebook feed, you must also hover your mouse over the word “following” and then click “see first” from the drop-down menu. You may want to check back with your favorite pages on occasion because Facebook often changes your settings, no longer having your having your favorites among those to “see first.

Follow the National Pet Rescue on Facebook.

6 replies
  1. Barkley's Mom says:

    As one who has patrolled her yard diligently especially when it has been damp, I feel for this woman. The darn things appear overnight and there is no way to know which ones are poison. My condolences to Ms Joyner for her loss of Drago and Adoni, I hope her other dogs will be ok. This is a timely reminder to all of us to be on the look out.

  2. Carol Reed says:

    I’m so sorry for the loss of her fur babies.
    Several times a day in the Spring & Summer, to protect our two dogs, we walk our backyard looking for and removing toadstools / mushrooms. They seem to appear very quickly, especially overnight. We have a Cocker Sp and a Havanese, it wouldn’t take eating just one to fatally harm them.


Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *