In Belcamp, Maryland, a chocolate Labrador retriever died after being left out in the heat on the second story deck of his home, reports the Patch.
On Thursday, Animal Control in Harford County responded to a report of a suffering dog left on a deck on the 1400 block of Tarragon Court. By the time officials arrived, the dog had collapsed and suffered heat stroke. There was no shade and little water available for the dog.
That afternoon, temperatures exceeded 90 degrees; according to police the surface of the deck where the dog was found registered 109 degrees. A neighbor had tried to help the dog by wetting him down with a hose. The dog did not survive.
The owner of the dog faces animal cruelty charges. In a statement by the sheriff’s office, the sad news of the dog’s passing was addressed:
“Unfortunately, despite quick rescue efforts and immediate medical care by the Animal Control Officer on scene, followed by those attempted by a local veterinarian, the dog did not survive the exposure to the heat and direct sun… Not only is it the law, but the right and humane thing to do. Help us keep your pets safe, and prevent another sad event like this from happening.”
Rest in peace sweet dog. We are sorry humans let you down.
Follow the National Pet Rescue on Facebook.
(Photo by Getty Images/John Moore)