Puppy died after consumption of mushrooms

Vets issue warning after puppy ingests common mushroom and dies

Spread the love
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Get email updates when we post
Loading

Veterinarians at UC Davis issued a warning to pet owners following the death of a puppy who ingested a mushroom commonly found in northern California. According to the Sacramento Bee, on Wednesday, an eight-week-old puppy named Griffin died after eating death cap (Amanita phalloides) mushroom which had been growing in his owner’s yard.

According to a release from UC Davis, just a small amount of the death cap mushrooms can cause the liver to shut down, as well as damage kidneys and the intestinal tract (in animals AND humans). Wikipedia outlines just how dangerous the mushrooms can be:

Consumption of the death cap is a medical emergency requiring hospitalization. The four main categories of therapy for poisoning are preliminary medical care, supportive measures, specific treatments, and liver transplantation.

Griffin had been brought in for veterinary treatment just one day after he ate a mushroom, but treatment was not enough to save him from the deadly effect of the fungus.

(Image screenshot via SacBee)

More news and updates on the National Animal News Facebook page

Did you know that if you want to get updates from a Facebook page, you have to do more than just “like” it? To get recent postings in your Facebook feed, you must also hover your mouse over the word “following” and then click “see first” from the drop-down menu. You may want to check back with your favorite pages on occasion because Facebook often changes your settings, no longer having your favorites among those to “see first.”


Drowning puppy saved by unexpected hero


Nobody wanted this skinny hurricane survivor, until a reporter gave him a helping hand

2 replies
  1. Barkley's Mom says:

    My heart goes out to the family of this dog, this could happen to anyone. I have heard of this before and since I don’t know which mushrooms are poison and which aren’t I have spend many hours patrolling my yard to clear it of any mushrooms. Rest in peace Griffin, condolences to your family.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *