A dog is recovering in Prince George County, Virginia, after being found covered in motor oil. This week, the hound, dubbed “Castor,” was picked up by an animal control officer and taken to the Prince George County Animal Shelter.
Apparently, the motor oil is not intentional cruelty, but rather an old “home remedy” myth to cure a skin condition. The animal shelter explained,
It is hard to believe that people still believe the myth that putting motor oil on a dog will cure mange.
Motor oil is far from a cure – in fact (though not surprising) the substance is highly toxic to dogs – especially if they try to groom themselves and ingest it. The animal shelter reminded Facebook followers that there are several real options to treat mange – much safer and more effective than using toxic oil:
There are a variety of cost effective treatments for mange and your veterinarian can discuss these options with you. Please do not use motor oil. “Castrol” is safe at the Adoption Center now getting ready for this next round of bathing.
Interested in meeting Castor (who is described as a lovable, friendly dog)? Call the shelter at 804-991-3200.
Find the Prince George County Animal Shelter on Facebook here.
Please SUBSCRIBE to receive more current animal-related news and rescue stories.
Find more animal-related stories, and follow-ups to dogs at risk posts, at this link to the National Animal News Facebook page.
Pregnant pig breaks out of cage on her way to slaughterhouse to save her life and the lives of her babies – read the amazing story here.
Thrown away like trash with a broken spine – see the amazing rescue effort for this adorable dog here.