A shelter’s cautionary tale after taking in surrendered dog

Spread the love
 
   
Get email updates when we post
Loading

An Idaho animal shelter shared a cautionary tale after taking in an ailing dog who was surrendered by her family. According to the Idaho Humane Society, the dog, named Leighton, had been vomiting for several days and her family could not afford the medical care that she needed.

Leighton received x-rays at the shelter’s medical center and they revealed that her intestines were blocked by a large “foreign object.” Surgery was necessary to save Leighton’s life and the procedure revealed what was blocking her intestines…a large tube sock.

Leighton was lucky – she was able to undergo the surgical procedure to save her life, and after a quick recovery, someone adopted her. The shelter shared the symptoms that dog owners should be aware of to potentially save their own pet’s life:

Symptoms that could mean intestinal obstruction include vomiting, lethargy, drooling and poor appetite. Please seek veterinary care immediately if you are noticing these signs as intestinal obstruction is an emergency.

Follow the National Animal News Facebook page for more news, updates, and petitions.

I love people who love animals! Choose your favorite color and design at this link. Purchases help support the continuation of this site.

Find Joy in the Little Things! Choose your favorite color and style at this link. Your purchase helps the continuation of our site!

The dog is smarter than the owner!

© Rescue Writers, 2016, All Rights Reserved

1 reply
  1. Jan Barnes says:

    I HAVE KNOWN DOGS TO CHEW AND TRY TO SWALLOW BATTERIES, GLASSES, BASEBALLS. CD’S, PENS. TISSUES … AND EVEN FALSE TEETH!

    PLEASE BE CAREFUL AND WATCH THEM–THEY CAN EVEN REACH TO GET THESE ARTICLES!

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.