A family in Bellevue, Nebraska, is mourning the loss of six horses, who perished in a deadly barn fire on Sunday night. As reported by KETV News the horses belonged to the Robles family, who said they were like “family” to them:
“All the horses, they were already trained, and they were good horses you know, they were like family to us.”
The horses were inside of a barn where a mechanic had been working – a wood stove was burning to keep the mechanic warm, but it caught fire and the barn was engulfed before the horses could be freed. Jose Robles Sr. tried to get inside of the structure when he saw the flames, but it was too hot and he was helpless to save the animals that he loved.
Robles, who calls himself a “horse man,” hopes to rebuild someday, but right now, the grief and pain are too much. The family’s horses were trained dancing horses who participated in Cinco de Mayo parades and festivals.
The Robles family hopes that others will learn from their tragedy…never leave a stove unattended, and always have a plan for escape.
“One piece of advice is never leave any fire unattended even if there is somebody there just always be on watch,”
(Stock image of horse via Pixabay)
Follow the National Animal News Facebook page for more news, updates, and petitions.
My therapist has 4-paws and a tail! Pick your favorite color and style at this link.
My dog is #Essential! Pick your favorite style and color at this link.
© Rescue Writers, 2016, All Rights Reserved