At the Barstow Humane Society, a tragic case of animal abuse and neglect has captured the hearts of animal advocates. A very friendly and sweet, one-year-old Australian cattle dog mix arrived at the shelter on Friday with a deeply embedded collar; it was so embedded in the puppy’s neck that only the tip of the red vinyl collar could be seen.
“This is the hardest part of our jobs. ‘It’s sad and devastating’ is an understatement. This is severe neglect. Something that could have easily been fixed. This isn’t the first time we’ve seen this,” the shelter wrote.
The stray pup has been named Andy and is about one-year-old and weighs 20 pounds. He has lived with this collar choking him for nearly his entire short life. Every day and every hour the pain this puppy endured had to have been intolerable. Still, Andy wags his tail and is beautiful and friendly.
Andy will undergo surgery today to remove the embedded collar. His medical costs have been estimated to be approximately $900.
Who could be so neglectful as to let something like this happen? Everyday someone saw this puppy, and everyday they had to have seen the collar choking him and digging into the tender skin around his neck.