In Harbison Canyon, California, a “hero” Labrador retriever named Marley saved his 18-year-old owner from a rattlesnake attack. Just two weeks ago, the seven-year-old dog pushed his owner out of the path of a direct bite from the poisonous snake – only to be bitten twice on the dog’s tongue and his neck.
According to the GoFundMe fundraiser link for Marley’s veterinarian costs, Alex Laredo had walked out of the front door towards the dryer on the side of the house when he heard a “big rattle.” Less than a foot away, under the table he spotted the foot-and-a-half-long rattlesnake.
“Marley’s instant reaction was to get between the rattle snake and I. At this point the rattle snake was furious and Marley tried to grab the rattle snake when it struck at me receiving Two lethal venom bites one on his tongue and the other his neck. Everything happened so quickly. I was able to grab Marley and take him inside, after he was bit and there was blood everywhere and Marley just collapsed to the ground crying in pain.”
The snake slithered away, and Alex grabbed his dog and with his mom rushed Marley to the veterinarian. Marley needed four doses of the antivenin, and for days the dog’s condition remained critical.
“Marley’s face started to swell up and he began to start having breathing complications. Blood also began to start pouring from his mouth. I was so scared and tried to keep my cool and think fast because time was not on our side. I was able to call ahead of time to check him in and the technician were there waiting for my best friend. This was the most horrifying moment of my life not knowing if your best friend was going to make it through.”
And then two days later, Marley turned the corner and was able to return home. Marley is no longer in danger but suffers nerve damage on his tongue and jaw and will require medication and weekly therapy visits.
Get well soon Marley. You are a hero.