BarkBox issues statement after dog dies following ingestion of treat

Spread the love
 
   
Get email updates when we post
Loading

BarkBox has issued a statement following the tragic death of a customer’s dog, who ingested a treat from one of the business’ deliveries. The dog, named Sugar, died after eating a chew. Sugar’s owner explained what happened in a public Facebook post two days ago, writing:

My healthy dog, Sugar ate a duck flavored Lucky Chew Sticks a product from Loving Pets that we received in her Super Chewer Bark Box and now she’s gone! She went from a healthy, happy dog to dead in 24 hours after eating this chew. She did not have anything out of the ordinary and was kenneled during and after consuming it, when the vomiting began.

On Friday morning, BarkBox acknowledged what happened, writing:

Bark Family,
We were recently made aware of a tragedy, in which a member of our pack named Sugar passed away unexpectedly. As fellow dog parents, we are absolutely heartbroken.
We’ve talked with Sarah (Sugar’s mom) directly to share how devastated we are by Sugar’s passing, and how much our hearts hurt for her family. It’s also important we share what we know with everyone in order to address your concerns, which we share for our own dogs.
Our first priority was hearing from Sarah and her vet about what happened with Sugar. Our vets are working closely with Sarah’s vet to better understand what happened.

Outlining the steps they are taking after the dog’s tragic passing:

At this point, we don’t know what role the chew may have played in this tragedy. However, when it comes to our dogs, we must act with great care and caution. So here are some immediate steps we are taking:
– Last night we emailed everyone who received this chew and have halted future shipments. We will replace this for any customer who would like that. We’re attaching the email to this post for transparency.
– We have established a dedicated helpline with our Happy team for anyone who has questions about this chew, or importantly, any dog who may be experiencing issues.
– We continue our urgent investigation with our testing labs, the vendor, our veterinary team, Sarah and her vet. We are committed to surfacing any issues that may be dangerous for dogs and sharing those results with you as soon as we have clarity.

Adding words of sorrow for Sugar’s passing:

Once again, the loss of one of our dogs in any way is tragic. We can’t possibly imagine how Sarah is feeling, and our deepest sympathies are with her and her family 💔


Will I still fit on your lap mom?

Follow the National Animal News Facebook page for more news, updates and petitions.


Love dogs? Let the world know!

Own your own one-of-a-kind design! All sales help support the continuation of our site. Pick your favorite color and style at this link.

Find other unique designs at this link.

1 reply
  1. Seagal says:

    I shared a post about another dog that got sick but luckily is ok now. Two people commented that they didn’t receive any communication about it from Barkbox ?

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *