NYC Department of Correction K-9 dies from accidental poisoning

Spread the love
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Get email updates when we post

A New York City Department of Correction K-9 officer died after eating  poisonous chemicals in his kennel; the dog named Bingo is said to have agonized in pain overnight until he was discovered by an officer in the morning and rushed to a veterinary hospital.

According to the New York Daily News, Bingo found a soap container on the ground while on a walk October 31. The container should have been stored safely out of his reach on a shelf. It is not clear how Bingo ate the poison, however the incident remains under investigation. Sources have reported the recent cutbacks where no “kennel master” remains on premises to ensure the safety of the dogs around the clock contributed to the dog’s death.

Bingo had only recently arrived and cost the department $8,000; he had not begun his training when he was placed back in his kennel at the Otis Bantum Correctional Center on Rikers Island. The next morning a staff member spotted Bingo suffering and foaming at the mouth.

The dog was rushed to the veterinarian hospital where doctors tried unsuccessfully to save him. Bingo was humanely euthanized on November 8.

Rest in peace Bingo.

(Photo via Daily News screenshot)

Follow the National Pet Rescue on Facebook for the latest animal related news.


Find JOY in the little things! Puppy paws, wet noses, wagging tails, snuggles and more. Choose your favorite color and style at this link.

More styles, and inspirational designs at our store – please click here to find them all! Your purchase helps support the continuation of our site. Thank you!

 


In a world where you can be anything, be kind. 

Own your own one-of-a-kind design! All sales help support the continuation of our site. Pick your favorite color and style at this link.

 


 

I love paws! Please pick your favorite color and style at this link. Your purchase helps support the continuation of our site. Thank you!

 


The cutest friends you’ll ever see!

 

 


Is your tree safe?!


Karma is a b*tch. Choose kindness! Our unique design spreads an important message! Choose your favorite color and style at this link. Your purchase helps support the continuation of our site. Thank you!


That face!!

 


 

Fight animal abuse! Donate Now


There is no us. There is no them. We are one! Purchase your one-of-a-kind mug at this link. Your purchase helps support the continuation of our site. Thank you!

1 reply
  1. Barkley's Mom says:

    What a preventable death. As soon as the dog “chomped” the container of soap, someone should have called the vet to see if there would be any repercussions! Blaming “recent cutbacks” as an excuse is criminal. This was an expensive mistake and one that not only cost the state $8,000 but also the precious life of a future hero! Rest in peace Bingo, I’m so sorry you suffered so at the hands of incompetence!

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *