Warning after bone gets stuck on dog's jaw

Warning issued after bone gets stuck on dog’s jaw

Spread the love
 
   
Get email updates when we post
Loading

A warning has been issued via social media following a frightening experience for a dog who was enjoying a bone. Within the past week, Facebook user, Adam Kusich wrote:

Dog owners, please read this!! A friend called my dad saying that her dog had a bone stuck in its mouth and was struggling to breath and they couldn’t get it out. My dad, brother and I rushed down to help.

The bone stuck on the dog’s jaw is described as a Benebone – the dental chew was securely stuck on the dog’s lower jaw and no amount of maneuvering would free it.

Warning!

Kusich explained the effort required to free the dog’s jaw from the bone:

We tried to cut the bone off with tubing cutters, tree pruners, bolt cutters, hacksaw, and finically resorted to a Dewalt Oscillating multi tool. After 15 minutes of holding the dog still while I slowly cut thew the plastic like bone, trying not to cut the dogs lip or tongue, we were finally able to get it off without hurting the dog any more. During the fiasco, the dog had drooled all over the couch from its mouth being held open for so long, and pooped from being so stressed out. There was also some blood coming from its mouth before we started trying to cut it off, but we were unable to see exactly where from at the time. 

And a request to share the warning with other dog owners:

Please share this so other dog owners are aware of the danger of this toy. If this would of happen while the dog was home alone, it may not of ended as well as it did tonight.

Always monitor your dog when he/she is chewing on a bone of any size or shape. On the Benebone website, the company advises, “In the end, weight is only a rough guide to sizing, and cannot replace the monitoring of a dog’s chewing habits. When in doubt, choose the larger size chew toy for safety’s sake.”

(Images via Facebook)


Please join us in spreading a message of love and kindness. We hope to someday see a world free from cruelty!

Your purchase (check out our latest design!) helps support the continuation of our site – find the various styles, colors and designs at this link to our store.

Follow the National Animal News Facebook page for petitions, news and updates!


Yesterday: Dog spent first year of life in a closet – now she is in a cage and needs help! More here.

More: Saddest dog ever after being returned from failed adoption – more about Gage here.


HempMy Pet provides human-grade CBD Hemp for Pets

Enter Rescue10 at checkout for a 10% discount!

Learn more about choosing a quality CBD product for your pet at this link.


Clever pooch!


Soooo happy!

4 replies
  1. Pennysdachshunds says:

    Wow!!! This is a hazard and Needs to be addressed ASAP by the manufacturer… I shudder to think of my dog ( dachshund chewers) having this product!!! They would manage to get it stuck!

    Reply
  2. Jan Barnes says:

    OMG! Thank you for this vital information! I don’t think most people realize that this can easily happen!

    Reply
  3. Barkley's Mom says:

    I’m glad they were able to get this off the dog. This may have been a freak accident, but it’s something we all should watch for.

    Reply
  4. Bunny Peters says:

    I had absolutely no idea that this treat was a problem (I often buy treats for friends’ pets). OFF my shopping list!!!

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *