Toxic algae killed family’s three dogs in a matter of hours

What seemed like a midsummer evening walk in Wilmington, North Carolina and a romp in a nearby pond for a family’s three dogs to cool off and play, tragically ended in the matter of hours on Thursday – with the death of all three dogs.

According to the Facebook page of Melissa Martin, and J. Denise Mintz took their dogs to play in a pond near Independence Boulevard. When they arrived home, one of the dogs began seizing. All of the dogs were rushed to the veterinarian, originally thinking the dog may have been bitten by something. Abby and Izzy, the two Westies had been struggling to breathe and continued to seize.

“We decided to let them go together peacefully. In the process, Harpo started to go downhill,” Melissa stated.

Harpo was diagnosed with liver failure and internal bleeding. Melissa held him in her arms as the dog’s life faded away.

So what happened?

“If you search, ‘blue-green algae,’ you see pictures of nasty water. That is false,” stated Melissa. “The place our dogs played for their last time was crystal clear except for what appeared to be debris from foliage. Do not let your dogs near standing water. Our Westies didn’t even get in the water, but played in the mud at the edge.”

They contracted blue green algae poisoning and there was nothing they could do. We are gutted. I wish I could do today over. I would give anything to have one more day with them. Harpo and I had work to do, but now we will carry on in his memory and we will make sure every standing body of water has a warning sign.”

For more information on the devastating effects of blue-green algae, please click here. Make sure to watch your pet’s health carefully for the following symptoms:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Blood in stool or black, tarry stool
  • Pale mucous membranes
  • Jaundice
  • Seizures
  • Disorientation
  • Coma
  • Shock
  • Excessive secretions (e.g., salivation, lacrimation, etc.)
  • Neurologic signs (including muscle tremors, muscle rigidity, paralysis, etc.)
  • Blue discoloration of the skin and mucous membranes
  • Difficulty breathing

The women are now on a mission to put signs at every body of water that can have this deadly bacteria. If you’d like to be part of their initiative: https://www.facebook.com/1371655799/posts/10219956373964324?s=1371655799&sfns=mo

Follow the National Pet Rescue on Facebook for the latest animal related news.


There is no us. There is no them. We are one. Choose your favorite style and color here.

Your purchase helps support the continuation of our site. Find your favorite shirt with a message at this link to our store!


Fight animal abuse! Donate Now



I prefer dogs to people #dontjudge

Pick your favorite color and style at this link!

Your purchase helps support the continuation of our site. More styles and messages at our store. Please click here to find them all!



Share the message – Pets are not disposable! Find your favorite color and style here.

1 reply
  1. Jan Barnes says:

    MUST POST MANY MANY MORE WARNINGS!

    ALSO, THE NEWS “MUST” NOTIFY AND WARN PEOPLE DAILY!

    ARE THE COMMUNITIES NOTIFIED BY MAIL AND ON SOCIAL MEDIA?

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *