Puppy died after eating ribs

Puppy who ate dozens of ribs has died

A puppy, who underwent emergency surgery to remove dozens of ribs he had ingested, has died. The pup was taken in by the Sacramento SPCA, who informed Facebook followers on March 1 that the veterinary staff had to perform surgery:

This sweet scruffy puppy came to us after ingesting a large amount of ribs.
Our shelter medicine team acted immediately, performing emergency surgery and removing close to 50(!!) short rib type bones from his stomach and intestines. He is currently in a foster home recovering from surgery and starting to eat a tiny amount.

46 short ribs removed from puppy

Though the pup made it through surgery, he started to decline over the weekend. The shelter informed Facebook followers of the pup’s demise on Sunday:

There are times, despite everything we try, some stories do not have the happy ending we would like.
Our little puppy who went through surgery to remove nearly 50 ribs from his stomach and intestines has passed away. After having a really good day after surgery, he began to go downhill over the weekend. Our veterinary team provided him with additional treatment, but unfortunately his little body could not quite catch up.
Our thoughts go out to the medical team and his foster parent who gave him a second chance and lots of love. Thank you for your support and we will continue to try…because they are worth it. ❤️

The puppy came to the animal welfare agency after being surrendered by his family who surrendered him. The pup had been taken to a private veterinarian after eating the 46 short ribs and acting “sluggish” reports WTSP News.

(Images via Sacramento SPCA and screenshot WTSP News)

Yesterday: Officials order release of whales held in watery prison – more here.

More: Someone shot a geriatric dog in the head – details here.

More news, updates, funny videos and memes on the National Animal News Facebook page.


The Pet Rescue Report endorses HempMy Pet – CBD products for pets

Enter Rescue10 at checkout for a 10% discount! Your purchase helps support our writing efforts.

Recently in the news: Considering CBD for your pet? Know what to look for (and what to avoid)!



4 replies
  1. Bunny Peters says:

    WTF kind of idiot feeds their young puppy 46 short ribs??? I realize that whilst you can fix many things, you just can’t fix stupid…….
    However, the poor puppy paid for their stupidity with his life. I do think that whilst their intent may not have been to harm their puppy, that is, in fact, exactly what happened. I don’t think these people should ever have another dog until after they have completed a “responsible dog care” course….. (in an “ideal” world, there would be this consequence), our reality: they will go out and get another dog……

    And criminal stupidity gets rewarded instead of punished……Totally disgusting………

    Reply
  2. Bunny Peters says:

    RIP Precious Puppy…… Your life was stolen from you….. You didn’t deserve to be mistreated…… please look for MacKitty in Heaven….. you will be welcome to join his group of snuggle buddies…….. so sorry that you were failed so horribly by your humans……

    Reply
  3. Barkley's Mom says:

    I am puzzled as to how a puppy eats and swallows this many bones and nobody saw what was happening? Some one is responsible for this!

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *