Dog died during baseball fireworks

Dog collapsed and died during fireworks display at dog-friendly baseball event

A couple’s young dog collapsed and died during a fireworks display at a recent dog-friendly baseball event in Toledo, Ohio. The tragic death took place during the Paws and Pints event put on by the Toledo Mud Hens, and though many people have expressed criticism for the baseball team’s decision to have fireworks at a dog-friendly event, the pup’s owners have voiced their own opinion about what happened, and it may surprise some people.

The couple that owned the 18-month-old Samoyed named Stella told the Toledo Blade, “We don’t blame the Mud Hens. We don’t blame them at all.”

Adding:

We want people to know this was an accident. There’s just been this outrageous [rush] to blame all over online, and we don’t want that. We never blamed anyone.”

Though Stella collapsed when the fireworks started, a necropsy revealed that she suffered from a (previously unknown) congenital heart defect; she could have collapsed and died at any moment. And her owners, who described Stella as “fearless,” had no reason to suspect that the fireworks would cause their pup harm because she had never shown any fear during thunderstorms, or fireworks displays.

Though Stella’s owners have been more than gracious about the fireworks going off at a dog-friendly event, the baseball team has seen the error of its ways and has apologized:

Any words seem inadequate in expressing our sympathy at the loss of a doggie family member following our Paws and Pints event last night. The entire organization is heartbroken that a lovely evening ended so sadly. We are in agreement with the community that in the future, no dog-friendly events will be held in conjunction with fireworks. With our mission to provide family-friendly events to our community, we work hard to do our best, but this time we fell short. As a symbol of our sympathy, we will be making a memorial contribution to an animal charity of the family’s choice.

(Image via Pixabay)


Follow the National Animal News Facebook page for petitions, news and updates!

Some may believe that fostering is just “too hard,” but the pay off is incredible! Spread the word, you can survive fostering, and save a life in the process! This beautiful design reads, “I survived loving a foster dog until a furever home was found” #Youcantoo

Click here to find your favorite shirt style!

 

Your purchase helps support the continuation of our site. More styles and messages at our store. Please click here to find them all!


HempMy Pet provides human-grade CBD Hemp for Pets

Enter Rescue10 at checkout for a 10% discount! Your purchase helps support our writing efforts.

Learn more about choosing a quality CBD product for your pet at this link.


There is no us. There is no them. We are one! Find your favorite style at this link.

 



4 replies
  1. Barkley's Mom says:

    My condolences to Stella’s family, it’s always such a shock to lose your pet in such a way when there was no signs. She died having fun with her family, that’s all that matters. Is it prudent to take your pet to a pet friendly venue that has fireworks? Dogs sometimes are scared and run but you don’t expect one to die of a heart attack, especially an 18 month old pup.

    Reply
  2. Jan Barnes says:

    SORRY! NO FIREWORKS ARE “DOG FRIENDLY”! WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE? THEY ALREADY KNEW ABOUT THE DOG’S HEART CONDiTION! BRAINLESS AND HEARTLESS! THEY KILLED THEIR DOG!

    Reply
  3. Bunny Peters says:

    Condolences to the family on their tragic loss. Precious treasure Stella, please look for MacKitty in Heaven and RIP amongst loving friends in his wonderful snuggle group……..

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *