Dog barked warning tenants in Bronx fire and saving lives

On Friday morning, a family dog barked and barked – warning tenants in a Bronx apartment building that something was wrong. The flames billowed up into the air sending seven people, including four fire fighters, to the hospital with injuries from the massive blaze.

According to the Daily News, the fire started on the top floor of the three story building spreading to at least one neighboring building in a short amount of time.  FDNY Chief of Fire Operations Thomas Richardson stated more than 200 firemen and medics worked to extinguish the fire with medics treating the injured.

One of the tenants in the building didn’t hear the smoke alarms going off; her dog woke her up at 5:30 a.m. constantly barking – a behavior not usual for her dog.

“Thank God for my dog, saved my life,” stated Elvia Vergara, 60.

It was then that Vergara saw the fire trucks outside and knew the situation was dire.

The lower apartments suffered water damage, and the City Building Department has been called in to perform structural integrity testing. It is unknown at this time if the smoke detectors were operational.

Many thanks to the family’s loyal dog for saving lives.

Follow the National Pet Rescue on Facebook for the latest animal related news.

Fight animal abuse! Donate Now


I prefer dogs to people #don’t judge” Choose your favorite style here – your purchase supports the continuation of our site!

Pets are not disposable – love them for life! Pick your favorite style here.

Your purchase helps support the continuation of our site. More styles and messages at our store. Please click here to find them all!


1 reply

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *