Boy who contracted rabies has died

Young boy who contracted rabies has died

Spread the love
Get email updates when we post

A Florida boy, who contracted rabies from a bat, has died. The devastating news of six-year-old Ryker Roque’s death was released on Sunday, reported TODAY. Little Ryker touched a sickly bat that his father had placed into a bucket. The child’s dad, Henry, had instructed the boy not to touch the bat, under any circumstances, but the child did anyway…and he was scratched on his hand.

The boy’s hand was washed thoroughly with hot water and soap, but the family didn’t immediately seek medical help because of the child’s fear of shots. One week later, Ryker showed signs of a problem – including numbness in his hands and headaches.

He was immediately taken for medical care, but it was too late. Tragically, with the rabies virus, by the time that symptoms manifest, it is almost always fatal. Physicians had attempted to do a treatment known as the Milwaukee protocol to save the stricken child, but the rabies virus took the boy’s life anyway.

boy died after contracting rabies

It is imperative to keep your pets current on rabies vaccines and crucial for humans to seek immediate medical treatment if they suspect that they have been in contact with any animal who may be infected with rabies. While deaths from rabies are rare in the United States, worldwide, approximately 60,000 people die from the viral disease each year. In 99% of the cases, the rabies virus is contracted from a dog, according to WHO.

Read more about this deadly virus here.

(Images via Pixabay and screenshot,  “bat photo by Jared Belson“)

More news and updates at the National Animal News Facebook page

Continue reading: Wildlife center issues warning after discovery of opossum injured by plastic rings

Did you know that if you want to get updates from a Facebook page, you have to do more than just “like” it? To get recent postings in your Facebook feed, you must also hover your mouse over the word “following” and then click “see first” from the drop-down menu. You may want to check back with your favorite pages on occasion because Facebook often changes your settings, no longer having your favorites among those to “see first.”

City employee uses lasso to rescue senior dog from frozen river


Woman who rescued sick bear cub accidentally broke the law


2 replies
  1. Marni says:

    That is so heartbreaking. His dad was teaching his little boy well about helping animals. He did all the right things. My heart goes out to them all.


Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *