Viral Golden Retriever ‘egg challenge’ can be choking hazard

Just in case you haven’t been paying attention to the latest Twitter craze, the “Golden Retriever Egg Challenge” went viral on Monday. It all started with Haley Bowers, a 17-year-old high school student from Michigan, who tweeted a video of her aunt’s dog named Sookie holding a raw egg in his mouth.

Are you shaking your head in disbelief? Notwithstanding the latest numbers, Haley’s tweet has been retweeted nearly 200,000 times and viewed eight million times. The tweet began like this:

“my aunt read online that a golden retriever’s mouth is so gentle they can hold an egg in their mouth without cracking it so she tried it on her dog and well”

Now it seems that eight-year-old Sookie has a multitude of talents, including being able to balance anything on her head and nose; all for the reward of a treat. Holding the egg in her mouth was just one of her tricks. Sookie’s owner happens to be a veterinarian technician who stated she knew her dog would never eat the raw egg and would have spit it out if she had bitten down to break it. Still Sookie’s talent seems  to have gone viral, and to some veterinarians it could cause a danger to a dog.

“There’s a lot of mixed emotions . A lot of people think it’s cute but some others are worried about what would’ve happened if Sookie had bit into the egg,” Haley told the Sun.

Veterinarian Dr. Paula Parker warns the challenge could very well kill your best canine friend.

“It is a choking hazard as the egg may become lodged in the dog’s throat. However, there is also a risk of the dog contracting an infection from bacteria that is present on the outside of the egg shell, for example, salmonella. Salmonella can be present both inside and outside the shell, so even if the egg does not break, if the bacteria is present on the outside of the shell it could lead to health concerns including diarrhea and vomiting.”

Not all dogs seem to get the object of the challenge, and even small dogs have been presented with the task. A corgi’s mouth was just too small to take on the challenge (lucky little pooch). Remember not all breeds can succeed at this task. Golden Retrievers have been bred as hunting dogs and pick up their prey without harming it; French poodles not so!.

Why not take your dog for a walk and play fetch? We would love for you to tweet that out instead of this. Do you really want to risk your dog’s health for a stupid challenge?

S

Did you know that if you want to get updates from a Facebook page, you need to do more than “like” it? To get recent postings in your Facebook feed, you must also hover your mouse over the word “following” and then click “see first” from the drop-down menu. You may want to check back with your favorite pages on occasion because Facebook often changes your settings, no longer having your having your favorites among those to “see first.

Follow the National Pet Rescue on Facebook.

In other news: California woman makes gross discovery about public restroom hand dryers

Recently in the news: Years after being abandoned, dog remains homeless at shelter


Our site is supported by revenue from links created by the Little Things:

Train strikes dog and the dog survives!


 

Dog was trapped for days in a sewer pipe!

 

9 replies
  1. pamela bolton says:

    there are a lot of idiots taking chances “with others lives”. don’t be foolish. Why take the chance of hurting that dog. Put it in your mouth instead.

    Reply
    • Julie Enos says:

      Yes ☝️ I agree with you what is the deal with needing to show a dog ???? can hold an egg ???? in its mouth find something else the dog can do like sit or roll over

      Reply
  2. Mary Ann Clark says:

    17 years old and she doesn’t know this could hurt this poor dog! I think this young lady needs to be grounded for a year to think this reckless action over! If she had caused this dog to die she would be tried as an adult and have a felony on her permanent record!

    Reply
  3. JEANETTE FOSSUM says:

    good grief, don’t folks have anything better to do with their time? go volunteer somewhere and leave the animals alone.

    Reply
  4. pennysdachshunds says:

    OH YA!!! the Owner of the beautiful Golden Retriever IS A “VET” TECH WITHOUT ONE OUNCe of COMMON SENSE!!! She may need some further schooling so as NOT to Put the LIVES of the Animal’s she is caring for in DANGER …. WOW maybe she got her training ON _LINE..

    Reply
  5. Darla G says:

    I stopped using regular size tennis balls for fetch with my Yellow Labs when I heard about a dog choking on a tennis ball that split open in his throat. I now use balls that I get at the pet store that are way too big for my babies to choke on.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *