In a tragic case of animal cruelty, a homeless woman in El Paso, Texas was arrested on Monday night after her dog died in a shopping cart fire started by a candle she used to keep her dog warm.
According to the Elpasotexas.gov press release, officers from the Pebble Hills Command responded to assist Animal Services at a fire in a shopping cart located at George Dieter Drive and found a deceased dog. Detectives with the Animal Cruelty Investigations Unit were able to trace the owner of the dog, identified as Lori Jean Pollard, 38, and arrested her for animal cruelty (non livestock torture and reckless)
“Detectives were able to locate the owner of the canine and the investigation revealed that the owner had placed a candle in the shopping cart in order to keep the canine warm,” the news release stated. “Flammables located in the cart caught fire which resulted in the death of the canine.
The breed of the deceased dog has not been made available. Pollard was booked into the El Paso County Detention Facility in lieu of an $8,500 bond.
(Photo of woman alleged to have left her dog with a candle in a shopping cart via El Paso Police Department)
Did you know that if you want to get updates from a Facebook page, you need to do more than “like” it? To get recent postings in your Facebook feed, you must also hover your mouse over the word “following” and then click “see first” from the drop-down menu. You may want to check back with your favorite pages on occasion because Facebook often changes your settings, no longer having your having your favorites among those to “see first.
Follow the National Pet Rescue on Facebook.