Dog died after eating toxic bread

Owner shares heartbreaking story after her dog unexpectedly died after eating bread

Spread the love
Get email updates when we post

The owner of a Labrador retriever has taken to social media to share her heartbreaking story of the dog’s early and tragic death. Facebook user Melissa has asked for her sad story to be shared…to help save other dogs who might suffer the same awful fate from eating food which is toxic.

Dog died after eating toxic bread

She wrote:

PLEASE SHARE****please share!!!
I’m writing about our dear dog Lucy. She passed away yesterday after eating bread made with xylitol. This is the product we used ( see pic of bag below). It was a series of unfortunate events as she surprisingly jumped up on the counter and ate the bread… I’m writing because we are heart broken.

Lucy’s demise

Lucy’s owner explained what happened after the xylitol was consumed:

I’m sure that Lucy’s outcome would’ve been different if we knew about the toxic effect xylitol has in dogs. She went into complete liver failure after a series of plasma infusions and 24 hours in a veterinary ICU. She basically bled internally till her final moments. 

A request for labeling and knowledge to be shared:

Melissa wrote of her desire for this story to be shared, and for companies to put warnings on their products:

We are heartbroken as a family. I’m not placing blame, but I’m pleading with the company to put warning on the bag/product itself! Lucy died at five short years of life with no previous health conditions. I don’t want for anyone else to endure our pain or great financial burden simply because they just didn’t know or understand the risks. I strongly feel that a warning should be placed on the front or back of the bag.
Please seriously consider my plea in honor of our beloved Lucy and share this post till we get some response from the company.


We were told this is becoming a much bigger issue as veterinary clinics are seeing many more cases of poisoning with the popularity of this product growing. It is even found in peanut butters ( which many owners give to their dogs)

More news, updates, funny videos and memes on the National Animal News Facebook page.

Yesterday in the news: “Crazy Russian” makes millions arranging hunts for endangered animals. More here.

Dog in need: Gentle shepherd longs for someone to love him – more about saving this dog here.

Dog abandoned with broken legs gets a new life:

13 replies
  1. Barkley's Mom says:

    WOW, Never in my wildest dreams did I ever to think to look for xylitol in “bread”, it makes me wonder what else it could be in that would be of danger to my pets. I strongly agree with this poor woman, if xylitol is in the product a warning is warranted. My heart goes out to this family, losing their precious Lucy like this must be devastating.

      • Bunny Peters says:

        I had the same interpretation.

        We have always been super careful with labels as we have family members with severe food allergies.

        RIP Lucy. Please look for MacKitty in Heaven….. you will be welcome to join his group of snuggle buddies……..

        Hope that future labels will clarify dangers & allergies so no more tragedies…….

  2. Jan Barnes says:

    Lucy is now both an angel and a hero! Now pet owners will be more careful about what ingredients are in their food! You will always be in our hearts and prayers, dearest Lucy!

  3. pennysdachshunds says:

    We often throw the slightly old and dried bread to the birds outside … Our dachshunds, large shepherd , and horses will grab a hunk… I have checked immediately. the brand we get and our Local Wallmart, and we are safe!!! I know they use this product in gum and other sweets, as we too are diabetic.. I am so sorry for the loss of Lucy for many of us on this particular SITE our Pets are the only family WE have!!!

  4. Adrienne says:

    Lucy has become an angel for her family as well as other dogs who hopefully their owners will heed. Always check what you can give your pet especially the ingredients that are in everything they eat as well as what we eat.


Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *