Labrador retriever dies from saltwater poisoning after day at the beach

Spread the love

In the Tampa area of Florida, Chris Taylor had to humanely euthanize his beloved Labrador retriever on Wednesday after the dog suffered saltwater poisoning. Just two days earlier, the dog named O.G. had been healthy and happily swimming and playing at the beach.

Taylor, 29, and seven-year-old O.G.  frequently went to the beach in Dunedin, Florida. According to WFLA, Monday was no different as the two headed to Honeymoon Island State Park Dog Beach. After the two left the beach, Taylor began to notice symptoms that something was wrong when O.G. seemed a “bit wobbly.”

The dog then began to have diarrhea, and Taylor thought perhaps O.G. may have overdone it at the beach and needed some rest to feel better. The next morning the dog seemed to have been feeling better, but two days later, O.G. stopped eating and Taylor rushed him to the veterinarian hospital where the dog was diagnosed with swelling of his brain, dehydration and seizures from ingesting saltwater. He would not recover.

Pet Poison Hotline  warns dog owners that

 “salt poisoning in dogs and cats results in clinical signs of vomiting, diarrhea, inappetence, lethargy, walking drunk, abnormal fluid accumulation within the body, excessive thirst or urination, potential injury to the kidneys, tremors, seizures, coma, and even death when untreated.

“… it is important to get them to the vet as soon as possible so the careful administration of IV fluids, electrolyte monitoring, treatment for dehydration and brain swelling, and supportive care” necessary can begin.”

Dogs often mistake saltwater for fresh water and dog owners are reminded to bring plenty of fresh water to the beach and to carefully monitor their dogs intake of saltwater paying special attention to symptoms of diarrhea, vomiting or fatigue. Veterinarians suggest dog owners limit their pets visits to the beach to just a few hours.

Rest in peace O.G.

More news and updates on the National Pet Rescue Facebook page.

Woman mourning loss of dog who was shot and killed by police – read more here.

police shot dog who escaped from his yard


Dog died inside of parked SUV while owners dined at nearby sports bar – read more here.

Dog died in hot SUV

Our site is supported by stories from

Dying man’s wish to find a home for his beloved dogs – read the story here.

Woman horrified by house infestation after walking in the park with her dog – read more here.



Spread the love


  1. Even my 3 year old great-grandbaby knows YOU DONT DRINK SALT WATER!!! But this hippie never thought it might possibly be toxic for his dog? I’m praying he doesn’t adopt another. He might be able to handle a pet rock. Maybe.

  2. Sorry Taylor for your loss of O.G. You did what you always do with him at the beach but somehow he ingested more saltwater than his body could handle. This is a warning to others who enjoy taking their dog for a romp on the beach where there is saltwater. Having enough fluids/regular water should be given especially when you see your dog lapping up water from the ocean. RIP O.G., Taylor loved you very much to take you places you loved to run around in.

  3. It’s so sad. I had to watch out for this when I was living near the ocean. Lakota wanted to go in, but after a 1/2 hour I usually stopped because I heard about salt water and dehydration created brain damage

  4. My heart goes out to Chirs Taylor. How heartbreaking that a usual day at the beach turned deadly this time. I don’t know why this time had to be any different from the other times you had a wonderful day together at the beach but it seems so unfair. Rest in peace O.G. you had a loving owner and I’m sure his heart is torn to pieces losing you.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here