A devastated family arrived at the airport in Sydney after Christmas to find out their pet French bulldog had died on the hot tarmac while waiting to be loaded onto a Virgin Australia flight. Kristina and Neil Maccabee had returned from visiting family and always took their dog with them.
“He was our family; he came everywhere with us, every moment shared,” stated Kristina. “We love him more than anything and we are completely devastated.”
According to the Daily Mail, Neil had dropped off the dog named Bruno in the morning at the Townsville airport and was told to leave the dog with the baggage handlers. The staff had been given specific instructions on paperwork about the careful handling of the short snouted dog (brachycephalic) which had been logged in. Before leaving Bruno, Neil made sure to hydrate his dog and asked the handlers to make sure the dog’s water bowl was full for the flight once he was loaded onto the plane.
The owners were shocked as they boarded the plane, and there was Bruno out on the tarmac some 40 minutes later with the outdoor temperatures registering nearly 90 degrees. And when they arrived at the cargo terminal to pick Bruno up, their beloved dog had died. There was no doubt to the couple that Bruno had suffered.
“…he was all sweaty and had been sick and his water container was empty,” stated Kristina.
A necropsy has confirmed that heatstroke was the cause of death. The airline has denied all charges and claim all the time Bruno was on the tarmac, he had been kept in a shaded area and was fully hydrated. The airlines has expressed their sorrow for the passing of Bruno and are investigating.
(Photos of French bulldog and owners via FB and screenshot via Daily Mail)
Rest in peace Bruno.
More: Noseless dog has found a home – the story here.
Recently in the news: Considering CBD for your pet? Know what to look for (and what to avoid
The miracle I pray for…