Warning: Dog died after eating corn cob found while on her walk

Spread the love
Get email updates when we post

A two-year-old dog died after ingesting a corn cob she picked up while on her walk. Devastated owner, Joanne Palmer, 46, from Chester, Cheshire in the United Kingdom had no idea her dog Saffy, had eaten the vegetable until a week later when her dog became deathly ill and died; the corn cob had ripped through her internal organs.

According to the Daily Mail, Joanne had no idea how deadly the vegetable could be and is now urging everyone to be very careful and dispose of corn cobs properly, so what happened to her tiny Cavachon won’t happen to another dog. The tragic story of Saffy has gone viral after Joanne’s post on Facebook:

“Saffy must have eaten the corn on the cob while we were out on a walk. She was fine until one week later when she began violently vomiting at home. Both myself and husband, Johnny, 42, first thought she had been poisoned. The vets told us they could feel something hard in her stomach and prepared to operate. But unbeknownst to us, the core of a cob had travelled through her intestines like a cheese grater. And despite their best efforts, she started to bleed and died later that day. We were left heartbroken, and it wasn’t until last week that we found out it was due to a lodged cob. We had to pay extra for a toxicology report, but I’m so thankful we now know her cause of death so we can warn other owners.”

Since posting Saffy’s story, Joanne’s post has been shared more than 20,000 times. Dog owners all know how quickly our four-legged friends can slip something they’re not supposed to have in their mouths while out on their walks. People throw food around and dogs – with their terrific sense of smell, can find so many “delightful to them morsels” to chomp on. Maybe this corn cob became fatal to Saffy because she was so small, but why take a chance? Be safe – keep your eye on Fido at all times.

(Photo of Saffy via Facebook)

Rest in peace Saffy.

Follow the Pet Rescue Report on Facebook.



10 replies
  1. Kathleen Drude says:

    I find it hard to believe you didn’t notice your little one with the corn cob! Be that as it may! Something doesn’t sound right about this whole thing! You would have known within 2 to 3 days of ingestion that there was an issue! I question what exactly it was your little one ate!

    • Michelle says:

      You are dead wrong. It took 10 days for any symptoms to show up in my dog before I had any idea anything was wrong. My dog too had ingested a corn cob.

  2. Linda Szymoniak says:

    A good friend of mine lost one of her dogs after he got a corn cob out of their compost. They are definitely dangerous, so if you eat corn on the cob, be sure you dispose of them so your dogs can’t get them.

  3. linda says:

    Sorry maybe I’m being hard on the owners. How would you not know your dog was eating a corn on the cob while walking your dog? Something is amiss about this story. RIP Saffy.

  4. Meghan says:

    so sorry, I know with my dog once he starts eating something, you can NOT get it out of his mouth and he is 13lbs. I am sending my thoughts and prayers.

  5. Darla says:

    RIP Saffy – my condolences to your owner. I know that I watch my dogs like a hawk when we’re walking….I’m not fixated on my cell phone or anything else. We walk on a trail in a park where there aren’t cars so I don’t have to watch for them but there are bicycles who whiz past without a word.


Trackbacks & Pingbacks

  1. […] Dog owner wants to warn others after her pet died after eating something on a walk – read more about this sad situation here. […]

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.