Veterinarian accidentally euthanized puppy

Veterinarian accidentally euthanized family’s puppy

A family is devastated after their 10-week-old puppy died while in the care of a veterinary facility which accidentally euthanized her. According to the Mirror U.K., Mollie, a border collie, went to WJ Downes for care after she had a bad reaction to a vaccination.

At the veterinary clinic, Mollie was supposed to be given an I.V. drip of heparinized saline, but instead, she was given Potassium chloride (which stops the heart); Mollie did not survive the mix-up. The puppy’s owners, Wayne and Lisa Maguire, claim that they even received a bill from the veterinary hospital after Mollie died.

Sharon King, the veterinarian who administered the lethal concoction, sent a letter to the couple in an effort to apologize for the fatal snafu:

“I realise my apology cannot ease your grief, but I would like you to know that I am truly devastated by the whole event, and that the consequences of my well-intentioned actions on 4 August resulted in Molly’s death.”

According to the Sun, the veterinary clinic is conducting an investigation into the situation and has opted to not comment publicly.

(Stock image of border collie puppy via Pixabay)

More news and updates at the National Animal News Facebook page

New today: Hundreds of dead sea turtles found floating off the coast of El Salvador


Did you know that if you want to get updates from a Facebook page, you need to do more than “like” it? To get recent postings in your Facebook feed, you must also hover your mouse over the word “following” and then click “see first” from the drop-down menu. You may want to check back with your favorite pages on occasion because Facebook often changes your settings, no longer having your favorites among those to “see first.”


Police make heartwarming discovery after chasing down stolen truck


This special chair is keeping family’s dog alive

16 replies
  1. Adrienne says:

    This vet will be loosing all her clients due to such a tragic so-called accident. I know I would never take one of my animals to her for fear she might misdiagnose or give wrong meds. How could she give the wrong drop and was there not a technician nearby or anyone to notice this mix up?

    Reply
  2. Nadya Wall-Rossi says:

    Time to call a good, rapacious lawyer! This was unforgivable and the vet needs a good object lesson. Must not happen again! I’d tell her to take her lame apology and….

    Reply
  3. Stacey says:

    My heart goes out to you Lisa and Wayne. That veterinarian should loose her licence. It’s just unacceptable what happened.

    Reply
  4. Barkley's Mom says:

    I think I would be suing! No apology can ever ease the pain for this family’s loss and then they send a bill? After hearing this, no pet of mine would ever be taken to them!

    Reply
  5. Red says:

    This is BULLSH**!! Are they really saying they had two border collie puppies in there and mixed them up? One was to be euthanized and the other wasn’t??? Otherwise, HOW would you accidentally euthanize a dog?!?!?! There SHOULD BE NO ACCIDENT along these lines. There should be many safeguards in the system, on the cage, on their whiteboards they write on ……. I hope this family sues this rotten excuse of a vet clinic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Reply
  6. Gizmos Mommy says:

    I don’t usually resort to using profanity but what the fuck???? How in God’s name do you fuck up something like this??? This is just not forgivable in my world.

    Reply
  7. Helen says:

    RIP Mollie. The death of Mollie was the vet’s gross negligence by erroneously administered potassium chloride to the pup. I consider this as malpractice and the owner of Mollie should be compensated. While no amount of money will remove the pain of a loss pet, the Vet and Clinic must pay for this fatal error.

    Reply
  8. pennysdachshunds says:

    This Moronic Vet should change “professions” ASAP to Mortician that would be a lot hard to make a critical mistake on… this is plain negligence !!!!! and Stupidity !!!

    Reply
  9. Linda Novak says:

    There are no words that can be said that could be used as an apology, heartfelt or not. To add insult to injury, she receives a bill?!?!?
    For what?, killing her dog by “error”?!?
    I hope she contacts national news & a good attorney. I feel so terrible for her. I can’t imagine how she feels. No amount of money or sorry can heal this.

    Reply
  10. Nancy Raymond says:

    This piss poor example of a vet named Sharon King can stick her apologies where the sun don’t shine – it was HER negligence that caused the death of an innocent beloved puppy named Mollie and then had the nerve to send the family a bill – this idiot example of a professional should have her license suspended – snafu my rear end – more like incompetence. My deepest sympathies to Wayne and Lisa Maguire – get a lawyer – Mollie deserves justice.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *