This morning, a terrifying incident nearly resulted in tragedy for two dogs who were enjoying playtime in their yard. Those two dogs are my own.
The dogs were rough-housing, as they like to do, while I was watering the flowers on our deck – thankfully, I was right there when things turned ugly. Our youngest dog, a German shepherd named “Seager,” got his jaw stuck in the collar of our older shepherd, Chesney.
I immediately ran to them and somehow, they separated on their own before anyone was seriously hurt (but not before making one dog cry and me nearly having a heart attack!) but it could have ended poorly. Dogs have died while playing with their collars on – I know this can be a danger and normally, the dogs aren’t allowed to play with their collars on (but I’ll admit, if I hadn’t been writing about dog news for the past decade I wouldn’t know this). Unfortunately, I have actually written about several beloved dogs who didn’t have a good outcome – their playtime did turn deadly.
But right now, it’s a terrible Catch-22 situation…it’s the height of fireworks season and since I want my dogs to have identification (yes they’re chipped, but the easiest way to get your dog home quickly is to have ID tags with their owner’s contact information), they both had their collars on. No, not choke collars…just regular collars – but it can turn into a dangerous situation if one dog’s jaw gets stuck in the other dog’s collar.
I was right there – I could have released a clasp if I needed to, but if I wasn’t there, and if they didn’t immediately separate on their own – it could have been bad, very very bad.
Please be aware of the potential danger – and let others know too. I cringe to think of what might have happened this morning.
Do you have a story idea that you would like to share? Please email me at Eims1@live.com
Please subscribe (with your email address) to receive all of the latest animal-related news.
More news and updates at this link to National Animal News Facebook page – here.
Read about the terrified dog that accidentally died while trying to escape fireworks. Please be careful with your pets this holiday weekend.
Read about some helpful hints to keep your dogs safe during fireworks! Click here.