A 23-year-old man in Great Falls, South Carolina, has been arrested after his dog choked to death while trying to reach the shade on a scorching hot day in July. According to Sunday’s publication of the Island Packet, a pit bull, secured by a heavy chain in his owner’s yard, was so desperate to reach some type of shelter from the blistering sun, that he choked to death.
His owner, identified as Keon Torrance Gladden, is facing a charge of ill treatment of animals for the July 10 incident. Officers who responded to the residence found the dog bloated and covered in flies and maggots – two empty dishes were nearby, as was a bush, which the dog was apparently trying to reach. One of the dishes was “dry and dusty,” indicating that the dog tethered out on the 90-plus degree day did not have any access to water.
One of the dishes was “dry and dusty,” indicating that the dog tethered out on the 90-plus degree day did not have any access to water. The dog had a dog house in the yard – but the chain that he was tethered to did not reach the shelter.
Amazingly, this isn’t the first report of a dog dying after being left to suffering in the heat – recently, two dogs in Toledo, Ohio, died outside in their yards. The dogs had no access to shelter – no way to escape the intense heat of the summer sun.
Find ALL recent Pet Rescue Report news at this link.
More news and updates at this link to National Animal News Facebook page – here.
Back to life! Watch an incredible video of a dog being saved by firefighters here.