Last week three puppies, sick with the deadly Parvo virus, were dumped in a blue bin along a highway in Detroit, Michigan. One of the puppies did not survive the illness. After the pups were discovered, the Detroit Pit Crew Dog Rescue penned an open letter to whoever was responsible for abandoning the puppies:
To the owner of the puppies that were dumped on the East Side of Detroit in a blue bin: All three of the puppies are sick with parvo and the female has now died from the disease. If you have more puppies in your home it’s likely that they too have parvo and will die without treatment so we are offering you the opportunity to do the right thing and bring in any other sick puppies to our vet’s office with no questions asked.
On Tuesday morning, the non-profit rescue agency indicated that the two surviving puppies (Pooh and Tigger) were showing signs of improvement:
Our sweet pups recovering from Parvo are continuing to improve! We are praying that they will continue to get better. Poor guys have been in quarantine in the hospital and will be ready to get out and play in a few days.
Click here to access the fundraiser for these puppies.
More about Parvo:
According to PetMD, Parvo is a highly contagious disease which more frequently impacts puppies who are between six weeks and six months old. Symptoms of the viral infection can include: Vomiting, diarrhea, weight loss, and lack of appetite (anorexia). Parvo can also impact a puppy’s heart and cause death.
The Parvo virus is unfortunately hearty and it can live in the ground soil for up to a year. Dogs can become infected by the deadly virus by sniffing stool from a dog who is sick – one of the only disinfectants which is known to kill the virus is household bleach.
It is important to keep your dog properly vaccinated against this highly contagious virus.
Puppy abandoned in a Texas mailbox – read more about this here.