This week, a severely injured puppy was abandoned at Monterrey Elementary School in San Bernardino, California. The puppy, dubbed “Chance,” was picked up by a good Samaritan and taken to the city pound. Before Chance could be taken in, a woman who volunteers from time to time with the Poochmatch rescue agency, intercepted him.
Chance was taken to Dr. Sig at Loma Linda Animal Hospital for an exam – the findings are nothing short of heartbreaking. According to Dr. Sig, Chance has a badly infected broken jaw and it appears that someone poured battery acid on his face.
The rescue group updated Facebook followers:
Chance, after his final examination, with the immeasurably kind and compassionate Sedna from LLAH. He had to be anesthetized because he was in so much pain he couldn’t allow anyone to examine him. First Chance has to recover from his infection, then he will have an orthopedic surgery done to insert a plate in his jaw, to aid it in healing correctly. He has a long diet of wet food ahead of him. The infection has spread and he most likely will lose his right eye. Dr. Sig said that while the battery acid may have been accidental – so-called “outdoor dogs” playing with things they shouldn’t (and wouldn’t if they were inside) – there is NO question that a twisted human broke his jaw as the break is too high to be accidental.
It goes without saying that Chance has a long road to recovery ahead of him, and his rescuers will be faced with tremendous veterinary bills. Anyone interested in helping Chance with his bills can make a donation at this link to the rescue group.
More news and updates on the National Animal News Facebook page.
What do these sleeping positions reveal about your dog? Read more here.
A woman’s door was left ajar during a storm – look who she found inside!
Adorable video showing deer and toddler playing – watch here!