Parrot accidentally poisons dogs after feeding them grapes

Spread the love
Get email updates when we post

In Eastbourne, United Kingdom, Peaches the parrot accidentally poisoned her canine house mates by mimicking the owner’s voice, calling the three dogs over by name and then feeding them grapes. The African Grey graciously shared her snacks last week with the Maltese pooches Boris and Cassidy and a Shih Tzu and Pug mix named Gus when no one was home.

According to the Eastbourne Herald, when the pets’ owner returned home and found her dogs in distress, she noticed the grapes were missing. Knowing the fruit contains a substance that can cause acute renal failure in dogs, she rushed the three dogs to Portland Vets in East Grinstead. There the dogs were immediately treated with activated charcoal to prevent absorption into the dogs’ stomach and intestines and treated them with intravenous fluids to flush their systems. Fortunately Boris, Cassidy and Gus are expected to make a full recovery. Quick action taken by the owner is what saved the lives of the dogs.

As for Peaches, her owner Helen Finch, says her bird has the run of the house and flies wherever she wants. Looking forward to the future however, there will no longer be any grapes left in the house.

Follow the Pet Rescue Report on Facebook.

(Photo of parrot screenshot via Eastbourne Herald)

7 replies
  1. Linda Szymoniak says:

    It’s adorable that the parrot wanted to share her snacks. Sad that they caused issues with the dogs, but thank goodness they’ll be okay. A good reminder to pet parents. What’s good for one may not be good for another. It sounds like the parrot loves grapes and I hope he still gets them, but only under direct supervision by one of his humans.

  2. Diana Roby says:

    Very suspicious. Was it an accident or did the parrot read that grapes are harmful to dogs and try to get rid of the dogs? Check internet browser history.

  3. Barkley's Mom says:

    Poor Peaches, thought she was sharing her treats with her doggy friends and she was making them sick. So glad they will be alright.

  4. susispot says:

    Thank God the owner returned home when she did. It could have ended terribly as time and quick action saved the dogs.


Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *