One pug died and 3 other pugs sickened after eating canned dog food

In Washougal, Washington, the owner of four dogs claims one pug died and three other pugs fell critically ill after eating Evanger’s Hunk of Beef with au jus wet dog food on New Year’s Eve. Nikki Mael stated she fed the dogs the canned food, and within 15 minutes all of them started to get sick, at which time she rushed the dogs to an emergency veterinary hospital.

According to KatuNews, by the time the dogs arrived at the hospital, they were not moving and had gone limp. Immediately transferred to the intensive care unit of the vet hospital, Talula, who reportedly had eaten the most food, died. Tito remained ill. The other dogs were able to go home, and Tito was released on Monday.

“He still suffers from seizures. I don’t know if there’s any long-term effect on the other two, but it’s terrible,” stated Nikki.

On the YouCaring page, Nikki set up to help with the dogs’ expenses, the company issued the following statement:

Evanger’s Dog and Cat Food Company We at Evangers are deeply horrified about this. We take the safety and quality of our products as top priority. We need to investigate and act upon this issue immediately and would require the LOT code found on the bottom of the can.. Please email or get in contact with us. We also feed our own dog, Lilly, this food.”

The company donated the full amount to Nikki’s YouCaring goal. The company is testing the food, and a necropsy of the dead dog has been ordered to determine the exact cause of Talula’s death. Retailers will take any dog food back, however the “Lot” code has not been made publicly available at this time.

(Photo of pug died courtesy of Nikki Mael )

Follow the National Pet Rescue on Facebook.