A man lost most of his arm after he was bitten by a puppy. The shocking situation happened just a few days after Michael Cole was bitten by his three-month-old golden retriever puppy, “Harley,” reported Wednesday’s publication of the Independent U.K.
Cole reportedly became severely ill after the bite – it turns out that sepsis had set in causing him to become so weak that he could not get out of bed or even stand. Doctors had to amputate Cole’s arm, below the elbow, in order to save him from dying.
Part of the reason for the severe and unexpected sickness stemmed from Cole being diabetic and having an auto-immune disorder. At one point during his sickness doctors told his family that he had “no chance” for survival. Thankfully, he rallied and overcame the horrific illness.
According to the Mayo Clinic, people who have contracted sepsis will have to exhibit at least two of the following symptoms in order for a diagnosis to be made:
- Body temperature above 101 F (38.3 C) or below 96.8 F (36 C)
- Heart rate higher than 90 beats a minute
- Respiratory rate higher than 20 breaths a minute
People who develop severe sepsis may have difficulty breathing, an altered mental state, decreased platelets, decreased urine output and abdominal pain. The mortality rate for people who develop the most advanced form of sepsis, septic shock, have only 50 percent chance of survival.
(Photo via Pixabay free images)
Please SUBSCRIBE to receive more current animal-related news and rescue stories.
Find more animal-related stories, and follow-ups to dogs at risk posts, at this link to the National Animal News Facebook page.
A sickly stray is found – vets discover more to his story…read the story here.
Read a heartwarming story about prisoners and dogs – click here for story and video.