Great Pyrenees shot by his owner who threatened to ‘finish him off’ rescued

In Morristown, Indiana, a four-year-old Great Pyrenees was shot by his owner on May 28th; the dog wasn’t fatally injured, but he was so frightened he quickly ran away and avoided all contact with humans. His owner is alleged to have threatened to “finish him off” if he found his dog. Ten days later, the dog named Roscoe has a second chance for a new life.

According to the Indy Great Pyrenees Rescue, the dog had been a livestock guardian for sheep, but during his short tenure had been denied any veterinarian care or human attention. Roscoe didn’t even know he had a name, but once the sheep were sold and his owner made plans to move away – obviously Roscoe was not part of any future plan. In pain – both emotionally and physically Roscoe ran and ran. Finally, the dog staked out his “new” home all alone nearly a mile from where he used to live; this time Roscoe lived in a barn.

As the community had been made aware of the dog’s injuries, FIDO Lost Dog Recovery  (Friends of Indianapolis Dogs Outside), a local dog advocate group who helps lost dogs and provides them with food, shelter, etc. for dogs living outdoors, volunteers helped and engaged the community to set up a humane trap to capture the dog. For ten days, volunteers baited the trap with tasty food, and finally on Wednesday evening, Roscoe was captured.

The dog is now undergoing veterinary care and remains on intravenous antibiotics. The bullet did exit so he will not require surgery, but Roscoe is suffering from a severe infection as well as being heartworm positive. The dog’s medical care is estimated to cost more than $4,000.

Although his previous owner told Animal Control, his dog attacked him and had been aggressive, volunteers and veterinary staff have not seen any troubling signs of behavioral issues.

Donations can be sent to a GoFundMe page here.

Follow the National Pet Rescue on Facebook.

Lost senior dog euthanized hours after being found by good Samaritan

Read about the dog who was euthanized within 2 hours of being brought to the local shelter. His family is heartbroken.