In the small community of Freemansburg, Pennsylvania, an animal cruelty atrocity is calling for the public’s help to bring justice to an abandoned five-pound Shih Tzu found wandering the streets on Tuesday afternoon stuffed with legos. According to the rescue organization, Because of a Dog, the Shih Tzu was picked up as a stray, and it wasn’t long before shelter staff noticed the extremely matted and dirty pooch was not able to defecate – no matter how hard she tried. Initially the staff thought the dog might have had a tumor or severe matting blocking her rectum.
When Because of a Dog, founder Selena Anstead, was asked to help, volunteers donned gloves and scissors, and as they gingerly helped the tiny dog out of her cage, the horrible smell was overwhelming.
“She was a total mess. Opened the crate; out she came and as the Chief, one of my volunteers, and I were ‘suited up’ in disposable gloves, we managed to get her distracted while I took a look at her rectal area. This did not appear to me to be a tumor, but a rather large ball of hair, fecal matter. Her rectum was not even visible. She was so dirty and icky that it was impossible to even tell if she was male or female. The pink dye in her hair at the top of her head gave us a clue that the dog was possibly female.”
When it could not be determined what was blocking the dog from having a bowel movement, and she kept trying and trying, volunteers placed her in a bathtub to soften up the matting. And what they discovered was nothing short of disturbing:
“Well, in that matting they found a few legos. Yes, legos….the little plastic building blocks,” Selena explained. ” Now an x-ray is needed. And ultrasound. This little girl had more legos in her rectum! They had to sedate her to do a short procedure to remove the legos. All together there were about 6-7 legos. This little girl can’t weigh more than 5 lbs! She is emaciated. Thankfully there is no prolapse. However, her rectum is extremely inflamed and sore. We have no idea how long she was like this, but this is not something that occurred over the course of a few days – not for how badly that was matted.”
Lego, as she has been dubbed, is now on a course of antibiotics, an ointment was applied, and she is currently being treated at Peaceable Kingdom. The dog is currently reported to be snuggled upon soft comforters and resting. How the legos even got into her rectum is unknown; there were no teeth marks on them indicating they weren’t chewed and swallowed.
“What we do know however is because the chief called us and we all acted quickly, this little girl’s life was saved. Now we need you all … we must pay the $658 medical bill….During the whole ordeal, she never stopped wagging her tail and how she was even able to do that without crying is beyond words.”
Lego will be cared for and nurtured until she is healthy enough to be adopted. Anyone with information about the owner of this dog is asked to contact the Freemansburg Police Department at 610-866-2221. Lego was found on the 400 block of Main Street in Freemansburg. She had no identification.
A YouCaring account to help with Lego’s veterinarian costs can be found here.
(Photos of abandoned dogs with legos courtesy of Because of a Dog and Freemansburg Police Department.
Follow the National Pet Rescue on Facebook.