Family heartbroken after their dog choked on chew treat

Spread the love
Get email updates when we post

In Augusta, Georgia, a family is mourning the loss of their dog after she choked on a special chew treat made right here in the United States.  Laura Beveridge purchased a “No-Hide Chicken Chews” for her beloved dog named Dumplin; it was to have been a special treat because Dumplin loved to chew.

According to Channel12TvNews, Laura hasn’t been able to sleep since Dumplin died and had been completely unprepared or warned about the dire consequences when giving her dog the treat. The company, making the product is Earth Animal, who stated it was a “safe rawhide alternative.”

“I read this label and the “safe” and “easily digestible” and I thought this is the right product,” Laura stated.

While on a conference call, Laura watched Dumplin eagerly gnaw on the treat, but a few minutes later the dog began to vomit a white foam and her airway noises changed. Rushed to the vet for emergency help, the dog was quickly placed on a ventilator; just 12-hours later she died. The treat had become lodged in her throat.

When Laura called the company, Earth Animal, she was told the size of the dog should determine the size of the treat. Three sizes are available, however on the side of the package, there were no warnings cautioning pet owners to give their dog the right size depending on their dog’s weight. Dumplin was given the smallest chew  – four inches – which is appropriate for a small dog. Dumplin weighed 125 pounds.

The company released a statement as per their product and expressed their sorrow over Dumplin’s death:

(Earth Animal sent On Your Side the following statement:)

“For almost four decades Earth Animal has been a leader in animal health and wellness. And, we are truly saddened for the family who lost their beloved dog and our hearts go out to them. Our No-Hide™ Chew products are a healthy alternative to rawhide, which often contains harmful chemicals, can’t be easily digested, and can lead to significant health problems for dogs. But any time that a dog puts something in its mouth – a toy, a dental bone, a stick, even a cookie – there is always some risk that they will get themselves into trouble. The keys to minimizing risk are to give only size-appropriate chews (meaning objects that are bigger than the dog’s mouths) and supervise them when they are chewing. We will continue to do everything in our power to educate pet parents on how to select a proper chew for their dogs and help them better understand how to promote a safe and healthy environment for their animals.”

The company also sent us the following size recommendations for its products:

· TEACUP/SMALL DOGS/CATS ( up to 15lbs.) No-Hide™ STIX product
· MEDIUM DOGS (15-45lbs.) 4” No-Hide Bone
· LARGE DOGS (45-75lbs.) 7” No-Hide Bone
· GIANT DOGS (75+lbs.) 11” No-Hide Bone”

Laura hopes to warn other dog owners about her devastating experience over the loss of Dumplin and hopefully avoid another tragic accident to someone’s dear pet.

(Photo of Dumplin screenshot via Channel 12 News) (Chew treat via Amazon)

Rest in peace Dumplin.

Follow the National Pet Rescue on Facebook.

Heroic firefighter (hunky too!) saves an elderly dog from drowning – watch the video here!

Protective dog saves little girl – read the amazing story here.

11 replies
  1. Pamela Garlisch says:

    Why was the dog put on a ventilator if it couldn’t breathe? Don’t they have to put a tube down the throat for that? If the tube was put down the throat, why wasn’t the chew pushed through to the stomach?

    • bettasrule says:

      The ventilator confused me also. If the treat was lodged in Dumplin’s throat why couldn’t the vet feel “something” odd when he/she just ran their hand down the throat. Plus, why not take an x-ray to check for a foreign object that could be lodged, knowing the dog was chewing raw hide when this happened. I worked for a vet for 15 years, something is not right, or else it was a crappy vet she went to. Sorry Dumplin, RIP.

  2. Barkley's Mom says:

    How sad, we go out of our way to find healthy treats for our dogs and then something like this happens. I’m so sorry for Laura Beveridge and her family. Sometimes, no matter how diligent you are something just goes wrong.

  3. Cynthia Como says:

    This is why I stopped giving my three dogs all rawhide and so called rawhide replacements! Just not worth the risk. In fact they get nothing that is a chew! This is such a sad,sad story and my heart breaks for this dogs owner! I’m so very sorry for her loss and immense heartache! I’ll will be praying for peace for her and may God bless her and ease her heartache! OMG! HEARTBREAKING!

  4. Sherry says:

    Sorry your Dumplin is gone! I just added a third dog to my crew and he is a chewer . I’ve been worried about this sort of tragedy. RIP pup.


Trackbacks & Pingbacks

  1. […] July 2017 reports (figure 3) surfaced after a large breed dog died after choking on a No-Hide® chew without direct […]

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *