Family dog dies after smashing doggy door in fright from illegal fireworks

A family is mourning the death of their beloved seven-year-old dog who smashed through a doggy-door in pure fright and impaled himself on a backyard fence in Melbourne, Victoria Australia after a neighbor set off illegal fireworks. Max, a Labradoodle, had been safely contained in the home’s laundry room with his dog pal Kinta, when a family member went out to dinner on New Year’s Eve.

According to the Herald Sun, the dogs had only been alone for less than two-and-half-hours, when the family arrived home to find the doggy door smashed and Max missing. Tragically, the dog was found impaled on the fence in the backyard. As Max tried to jump over the fence, his left leg caught in the fence and when found he was just hanging there – not making a sound.

Neighbors broke the fence to free Max, who was in a state of shock, and rushed him to an emergency veterinarian hospital where his injuries were deemed too severe to survive. Max was humanely euthanized:

“Our family has had dogs all our lives and know that they are up at times,” stated family member Gabriella Lysy, who had along with her brother watching Max for their parents while on vacation. “Samuel knew to give the dogs sedatives; he provided them with a safe environment in the laundry with no access to the outside. Max had another dog to keep him company, there was a TV in the background, and plenty of food, water, treats and toys to keep him occupied. My brother did everything right.”

It is a natural instinct for dogs to be afraid of loud noises. The sound of firework can trigger their nervous systems prompting some dogs to flee. Dogs look to us for reassurance, and experts offer advice to help dogs handle these situations. 

(Max dies after running from fireworks family photo.)

Rest in peace Max.

17 replies
  1. maxiemom says:

    Poor dog. If people are going to set off fireworks, they need to be considerate and tell their neighbors for a host of reason, not only for their pets, but their kids and the adults in the home as well. As someone who suffers from intense headaches and has a dog who’s afraid of fireworks, the inconsiderate nature of some people is more than infuriating. There are small children and babies in this neighborhood who are undoubtedly awakened by the noise. That’s why it’s up to the TOWN to do it, not some stupid asshat.

    Reply
  2. Denise says:

    My neighbors on the 4th of July will set off fireworks way into the next morning. I texted the guy this past yr and warned him I was calling the police. I have hospice and senior dogs I foster and the one was under the bed and I couldn’t get her out. She also had cancer. He knows this and they think it’s funny when they do it. They throw the fire crackers into my yard also. I called the cops and the crap stopped. The cops had an attitude, but I have a right to sleep and the dogs be safe. The noise ordinance is in place for a reason. There’s no sense in these kinds of things. They’re pointless. Kids are fascinated by them but aduls? Pathetic.

    Reply
  3. Barkley's Mom says:

    These poor people, how heartbreaking, they did everything right and it all turned out so wrong. My condolences to this family for their loss of Max, this is such tragic accident.

    Reply
  4. lina sorrentino says:

    We need stricter laws. Especially fireworks. Dogs become so frightened. My dog tries to dig a hole in the floor. He runs around crazy. We now have to sedate him. Fireworks are illegal here but they don’t care. The cops can’t catch them. The chinese just have to make a tone of noise here for weeks after the 4th. I hate San Francisco. Chinese do whatever they want,

    Reply
  5. Emma williams says:

    You did everything I would’ve done. I’m sure had you known beforehand that they where going to be setting illegal fireworks off you would’ve stayed home. I’m so very sorry for your loss. RIP Max.

    Reply
  6. Gail says:

    Fireworks should only be at proper organised events out of the way with safety experts. They might not have a metal casing. Shaped like a gun but still dangerous and can be fired aimed and cause great harm.

    Reply
  7. KoKo says:

    What a horrible accident. So very sorry for your loss and in such a heartbreaking manner. Had a dog that smashed through a window. Fireworks are ridiculous and IMO should only be at parks and events – not near homes.

    Reply

Trackbacks & Pingbacks

  1. […] dog, in Melbourne, Victoria Australia, also died after running from illegal fireworks and being impaled on fencing – the dog, a […]

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *