Critically neglected and abused, starving dog swallowed metal object to stave off hunger

An emergency call from animal advocates early Wednesday morning to Rescue Dogs Rock NYC, from a shelter in Douglas, Georgia, described a critically neglected and starving dog brought in as a stray. According to the shelter veterinarian, the dog dubbed Stewart, needed emergency surgery to remove a metal object in his stomach that showed up on a radiograph – an item he may have eaten to stave off his intense hunger. Urinating blood and possibly going into kidney failure, the five-year-old dog’s survival depended on emergency care and surgery.

“Who allowed Stewart to spiral into this horrific condition?,” asked the organization’s co-founder, Jackie O’Sullivan as she quickly made arrangements to have Stuart transferred to the rescue’s partner veterinarian in Georgia.

Just one look at the dog, anyone could tell he had been severely neglected and abused for an extended period of time. Stewart is weak, dehydrated and emaciated which complicates his situation, and it is hoped he will be able to withstand the medical intervention he needs to save his life. He is being stabilized with intravenous fluids and appropriate pain medication.

Updates on Stewart will follow as information becomes available. For now, everyone is asked to wish him well and hope he can survive his previous abuse.

“We will do everything medically possible to save his life,” Jackie reassured everyone on Facebook Wednesday afternoon. 

To help with Stewart’s medical care, donate here:  http://rescuedogsrocknyc.org/  or Pay pal: donate@rescuedogsrocknyc.org.

 

 

(Photos of Stewart who swallowed metal object courtesy of Rescue Dogs Rock NYC)

Follow the National Pet Rescue on Facebook.