A dog in Midlothian, Virginia, is being hailed a hero for saving his family from a potentially deadly fire. The dog, a three-year-old German shepherd named “Zeus,” was up with his family after midnight on Monday when he began to bark and growl.
Owner Jim Ludwig told WTVR News, “My wife looked outside and she said she could hear something was going on in the yard and there was a lot of light outside.” He described the terrifying scene, “When I stepped out on the back porch I could see the chimney was completely on fire fire was extending up the side of the house and up the roof line.”
If not for Zeus’ help, the four children in the household, who were sleeping upstairs not far from the chimney, quite likely could have perished in the blaze. Thanks to the heroic dog’s efforts, everyone made it out unharmed.
A fundraiser has been set up to help the displaced family get back on their feet. Click here to read more.