Devoted dog perishes in fire while protecting baby

A Maryland woman’s eight-month-old baby is alive today thanks to a devoted dog who perished while doing his utmost to protect her from a devastating house fire. According Friday’s ABC 13 News, Erika Poremski’s baby, Viviana, was inside of her Baltimore home on Sunday evening when a fire broke out.

The power was out at the Poremski residence and a candle had been lit – the baby’s mother was outside charging her cell phone in the car when the fire broke out and quickly spread, reported Yahoo News. Though Poremski desperately tried to get into the home, she was unable to reach baby Viviana, who was in an upstairs bedroom.

The baby was not alone – Polo, the faithful family dog, was not only with Viviana, but he gave his life to help spare hers. When firefighters got to the baby, they found Polo stretched out on top of her body – his own body was protecting her from the flames.

Polo’s actions spared baby Viviana from death – but he died in the process. Poremski told WBAL News, “She only had burns on her side because of it. He stayed with her the whole time in the bedroom and wouldn’t even come downstairs to get out the door.”

Viviana did suffer serious burns it the blaze – an online fundraiser has been created to help the family who lost everything in the fire.

 

  1. Darla
    Darla says:

    My heart is breaking at the heroic efforts of Polo. RIP sweet boy….you gave your life so your girl could live. Why didn’t the mother just plug her phone into the car charger and come back inside??? Everyone knows candles are dangerous and they’re not to be left unattended. A cell phone isn’t as important as your daughter and dog – your actions caused the death of a dog and severe injuries to your daughter. I’ll probably get some negative feedback for saying that but so be it.

    Reply
    • Susan Steele Loughnane
      Susan Steele Loughnane says:

      I’m with you Darla. Why not get right back into the house where your infant is? Not the first time a candle has started a fire. RIP Polo. You gave unselfishly. I hope this little girl will be reminded of his sacrifice.

      Reply
  2. virginia green
    virginia green says:

    it proof that our pets are like human people.dogs and cats are 4 legged kids wearing fur.so lets keep treating them that way.the dog did the rigth thing.sorry for ur lost.firman should have got the dog out also.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

What do you think?