In New Ulm, Minnesota, a lucky Labrador retriever is slowly recovering from surgery. Unfortunately Dozer and his family learned the hard way that corn cobs are not safe for dogs.
According to the New Ulm Regional Veterinary Center, who saved Dozer’s life, hope to spread the life saving message:
“Despite how much you think your dog may chew a corn cob, it’s NEVER okay to feed these to them. Their body isn’t able to break down the corn cob and they get trapped in the intestines, resulting in a very sad, sick pooch that will likely require surgery. Corn cobs are one of the most common foreign bodies that we remove from dogs.”
And as many dogs love to nibble and chew on corn cobs savoring the tastes of bits of corn, butter and salt, the dogs who cannot chew the cobs up can bring life or death situations. Most dogs, while stealing food from the garbage leave telltale signs of what they have sneakily pilfered. If you suspect your dog has eaten any food or foreign object they should not, call your veterinarian immediately. Such symptoms as follow can indicate a partial or complete intestinal obstruction:
- vomiting or dry heaves
- diarrhea (or straining)
- not eating
- painful abdomen
Fortunately, Dozer is one of the lucky dogs and is slowly recovering.
Follow the National Pet Rescue on Facebook.
(Photo courtesy of New Ulm Regional Veterinary Center)