Maggot-infested dog rescued

‘Aggressive’ maggot-infested shepherd rescued from animal control

A German shepherd, recently deemed “aggressive,” has been rescued from a Florida animal control agency. The behavior of the dog, who has since been dubbed “Charlie,” nearly resulted in his death – he was going to be put down, but his pitiful condition, including a body teeming with maggots, instead prompted a veterinarian with the agency to reach out to an area rescue group for help.

On Monday, Elissa Powers, with SHARE: Shepherd Help and Rescue Effort, recounted Charlie’s life or death situation:

This evening i received a call from Dr. Serrano at shelter about a dog that was very aggressive and if we didn’t take him she would put down for the safety of her staff. They didn’t have the means to care for him. He had large open necrotic wounds filled with maggots. We are hoping his aggression is from the pain.

Charlie is at a veterinary hospital receiving I.V. fluids and care for his badly infected body. His rescuers are hopeful that his aggression is the result of pain, not a bad temperament.

15622707_10210928373065847_2815035750657699857_n

Funds are being collected to help this injured German shepherd fully recover – click here to read more. Find the rescue agency’s Facebook page here.

5 replies
  1. Sharon E Rouse says:

    Hands out to this vet. Bravo for your curing efforts. God bless you and your staff for giving this dog a chance for life and a forever home.~♡♡♡~

    Reply
  2. pennysdachshund says:

    The complete Anal Anus that allowed this poor dog to get in the horrific condition…. Should be stripped of clothing slithered in clover honey and tied to a tree in the EVERGLADES … Go back and check on him in 10 days time!!! or if the Glades are too far did a hole for his body and leave his/ her head exposed with a generous helping of honey for flavor and an ANT Hill within the surrounding area….. UM UM!!! They deserve every bit of the same pain Charlie has encountered!!!!

    Reply
  3. susispot says:

    Geez, his flesh is a hot mess. He must be in terrible pain. Kudos to the vet that wanted to get him to a safe place so he would have an opportunity to heal.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *